Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #57805 10/08/09 08:40 AM
    G
    Grif Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thought I'd start a separate thread because the portfolio question made me think of another question smile

I am not sure whether my DS12 is an appropriate candidate for DYS or not. He has the IQ but not the achievement scores, so I am putting together a portfolio, but I truly don't know whether he fits the PG category or not.

He had a big discrepancy on his WISC-IV test (71 points between VCI and PSI) so there may be LD issues we need to follow up on. But more generally it's hard to tell whether he is a PG kid with a processing speed issue or a MG kid whose FSIQ and achievement tests are pretty closely aligned (his GAI is 21 points higher than his FSIQ).

I don't know any other kids like him - he stands out even among other gifted kids we know - but not knowing any other PG kids his age means I don't know what PG would normally look like. If anyone could share how PGness in a 12 year old would manifest itself I would be very grateful!

smile
    Grif

L
    L
    Here are a few examples from me (PG math and language), DC18 (E2 and in any category on any given day), DC15 (MG/HG), and my dad (EG/PG in math only) all at around 12:

DC15--curious about science and how to conduct her own chemistry experiments, avid reader (early high school books), enjoyed school and learned at school, when bored would memorize and perform SNL sketches for us

DC18--very concerned about social justice in community/world/school (even to the point of getting suspended for taking a stand against racism), memorized everything from history documentaries and sports broadcasts, frustrated with not being able to read what he preferred to read, grade level/some advanced for most subjects but understood the concepts (especially humanities) for late high school/college material, looked for meaning and purpose in life (translation: lots of late-night philosophy discussions)--aside, also from college applications, scores on ACT/SAT varied wildly from one test to another

Me-- preferred Russian novels for silent reading class, taught myself calculus and college/medical school science out of old books before school and during the summer (start of 4 am wake-up time after losing a discussion about how late I could stay up reading at night), staged a mini coup d'etat and boycott in catechism class after injustices committed by the church and again in response to being forced into the 12-y-o student mold at school (i.e. making a Fibonacci sequence on standardized tests instead of taking them)

Dad--forced by parents into learning German resulting in a boycott of class and a 0 on his report card, figuring out many principles of statistical analyses to apply to baseball games in lieu of access to higher math courses

It seems as if a lot of factors influence achievement and manifestations of giftedness, especially in PG kids (flunking a class or standardized test as a protest, for example). It seems as if the only rule for PG kids is that they are as different from each other as they are from age-mates...

Originally Posted by Grif
    I don't know any other kids like him - he stands out even among other gifted kids we know - but not knowing any other PG kids his age means I don't know what PG would normally look like. Grif

Great Question Grif -
    Standing out - in a good way - among other gifted kids is basically the key to this question. PG kids can get in trouble with many school-based gifted programs because the material is not interesting enough to them.

PG kids vary tremendously, so beyond 'not looking like MG kids' or 'not being satisfied by a level of learning that is expected to satisfy MG kids' there is no 'profile.'

At 12, my DS13 appeared 'bright but nothing special' at school with a summer birthday + single gradeskip combo, loved to play games on the Internet, Play 'Friday Night Magic the Gathering' card games, attended a Debate Camp for High Schoolers where the next youngest was 15, with zero backround in Debate, and did fine, but felt very 'behind.' Enjoyed CTY summer camp and felt like he fit right in but was noted by the teacher to have an 'unusual ability to think for himself instead of going along with the group-think' and 'really understood the principles of constitutional law in a deep way.' I can picture the first comment, but am a bit skeptical of the second comment.

Reread Stephanie Toland's 'Is it a Cheetah?' and ask yourself if your child has little opportunity to strech himself, is he still a Cheetah?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    Grif Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks very much!! Very helpful.

Grif, 71 points is a HUGE disparity. I think it's worth looking into whether your son has an LD. My most asynchronous kid has a spread about half that size, and we were told that it was VERY significant.

There's no template for gifted kids, and it's hard to say what a typical PG 12 year old is like. They are just beginning to wrestle with growth spurts and hormones too, it can be a real mixed bag as far as behavior goes.

A
    A
    L'ilMick I think we share a family!

Last edited by aline; 10/21/09 01:14 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs