Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    I am reading all of this like it's a primer of my daughter. I thought I was going crazy when she was a baby. All of the things you are talking about - no sleep, sensitivity to noise, clothes, etc. She lived in a sling for almost her first year. She cried all the time, loud or unusual noises made her inconsolable. By the time she was two she would say "noisy, noisy, too loud. We used to joke that she didn't like anything. And like your daughter, no one could believe it because she was so sociable and happy. One day just after she turned one, it's like a light went on and she became this happy smiling (although still incredibly sensitive) child. When people would comment on it, I would say - I've earned it.

She is six now, and we are going through early gifted testing at the suggestion of her teacher. She is exceptionally bright and she still carries a lot of her early sensitivities with her. It's been a challenge at school. This is really the first year that everything has clicked for her.

It's been and still is a challenge, but she is an amazing girl. The hardest part for us has been finding teachers who don't simply dismiss her as a "drama" queen or a problem in the classroom. We will see what this year brings. Life truly isn't dull...

J
    J
    Rituals. I tried to repeat quiet time rituals when my son was a toddler. This included using voices in a quiet whisper, turning on classical music with sounds of the ocean, turning down the lights in his room. It was best to start this when I knew he would fall asleep shortly and then, when I needed it for a those times he had a difficult time settling down, I could start playing the music and whispering and it became a bit soothing.

He is a teenager now and finds it comforting to wear those old padded headphones and listen to music when he is studying.

I think I started pre-warning him of things that I thought would irritate him. I would say "oh, it's going to flash" or "here comes the noisy band" and this seemed to help him prepare to cope.

JustAMom #60289 11/04/09 12:23 PM
    OP Offline
    We finally had our pediatrician's appointment yesterday and were able to talk to her about everything that's going on. For the most part she thought that a lot of DD's symptoms had to do with her being so advanced and getting frustrated because she can't express herself better. She thinks when DD starts talking more consistently that things will improve (she knows quite a few words but doesn't say too much yet, mostly she points or uses sign language. However, she does follow commands fairly well). Also, DD is very, very independent and wants things her way (for instance, she never let us feed her but if we put something on a spoon she'll feed herself). She said that some of that is also probably from frustration of not being able to control her environment.

However, she did that that her sensitivity to fabric wasn't usual and she gave me the number to early intervention to have her evaluated. I'm kind of going back and forth if I should make the call. DD's so far ahead when it comes to milestones and that seems to be more of the purpose of early intervention. On the other hand, if it could help her deal with her environment better I'm all for it! But then again, what the doctor said does seem to make a lot of sense, so I don't know! Sigh...

The nice thing, though, is that our pediatrician really sees what we're seeing with DD. She was even asking if DH and I were early readers and said that while she can't say anything for sure 100%, she'd bet that she will be gifted and that she has very atypical development. I guess, it's just nice to know I'm not crazy for thinking this. I think, I keep trying to go through denial...

Also, DD could be getting overstimulated but that it'd probably be impossible to change that considering how hungry DD seems to learn new things.

PMc #60304 11/04/09 02:21 PM
    S
    S
    Hi there-
    I just saw this post- My son has psychomotor OE and is sooo busy, was a fussy baby till he could walk, didn't sleep well, etc etc. I'm so glad that your MD seems to be on the same wavelength.
    I have to comment on this post by Grinity:
    As for sleeping, DS13 was a non-sleeper,and again, I heard that gifted kids don't need to sleep. Looking back, I think that DS DID need to sleep, but was terrible at winding down. Now that he is big, I give him Melatonin, which triggers him to wind down, but never saw that type of behavior before that. Later I read

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby by Tracy Hogg

And wondered if this would have helped at all. Let me know!

I highly recommend The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems by Tracy Hogg as a good alternative to cry it out (CIO).
    My son was a terrible sleeper and had night terrors/sleep walking at 8 mos, finally slept through the night at 14 mos, and Tracy Hogg's methods are really what helped my survive it all!
    Also, check out this website for more info and help with sleep issues. www.babywhispererforums.com

I promise, it DOES get better!

FWIW I still have some denial of my son's ability and I was seeing signs as early as you describe- you're not alone, and it really does feel good when someone validates what you see happening with your child's development.
    Hang in there!

Last edited by Speechie; 11/04/09 02:22 PM.
    Speechie #60341 11/04/09 06:56 PM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Speechie
    My son was a terrible sleeper and had night terrors/sleep walking at 8 mos, finally slept through the night at 14 mos, and Tracy Hogg's methods are really what helped my survive it all!
    Also, check out this website for more info and help with sleep issues. www.babywhispererforums.com

You know, I've been meaning to check this out, but this seals the deal! DD also has been having night terrors for awhile now, mostly it coincides with teething but sometime it just happens.

I do have to say, one trick that has works so well is that we make sure to get her to the playground at least once per day for an hour. She just has so much energy that she needs to get out! She's climbing over everything at this point and loves to climb up to the slide and go down. Plus, she loves to spy on the older kids. smile However, if we miss a day, watch out!!

PMc #60342 11/04/09 06:58 PM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by PMc
    How wonderful it is that your pediatrician is so understanding and supportive. My DS 13 mos. has had some sensory issues and is
    gradually outgrowing them.

That's comforting to hear. smile

newmom21C #60452 11/05/09 03:58 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by newmom21C
    [

You know, I've been meaning to check this out, but this seals the deal! DD also has been having night terrors for awhile now, mostly it coincides with teething but sometime it just happens.

Yep- that website and books have been extremely helpful for me. The book stresses personality types as being important- respecting, and accepting your child's temperament. Basically it helped me to celebrate my son's spirited and superbusy traits! It is really about teaching independent sleep and good sleep habits.

For info on night terrors, I read the sleep disorder section of "Solve your child's sleep problem" by Dr. Ferber. I preferred Tracey Hogg's gentler sleep training methods, but he had the most info on night terrors, sleep walking, etc...

FWIW, my son has outgrown the night terrors- they dissappeared after he was able to run steadily and turn on a dime at 10 mos old. Night terrors are awful- they are asleep and you are up on pins and needles. They wake refreshed and you are surviving on coffee...ugh.

LOL about the playground- I know what you mean!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM