Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    My kid was also tested with slow processing speed. At school and although he is only in K, they are addressing this issue is an odd way. I don't know if it is effective yet. They are teaching him how to write in cursive because cursive is supposed to be faster than print. At first, I was just wondering why they were torturing my child with more fine motor skills. But, they had a reason and claim that it has worked with other children. I'm anxiously waiting to see.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by bh14
    Believe me, I have been researching this since the kid was a baby! HAHA!

Um, Based on your learning curve, I would have to guess that your daughter would benefit from the YSP. I jokingly state that you can estimate a child's IQ from the number of books a mom reads during her first pregnancy. Your situation is a bit of a twist, but I think that the idea still holds. So crank out that application!

No, we haven't applied. We never had her take an IQ, just have all the state standardized test results (though we knew LONG before those). I could apply by portfolio, but haven't....yet wink. There is NO WAY I am having the school psych. test her as she seems a bit clueless.

If money is at all an issue, it can't hurt to have the school psych give it a try - a) it get your child out of the classroom for many hours, and b) with a little luck you will have at least a 'low estimate' of your child's IQ. The Achievement testing could help with your advocacy efforts.

So... it is what it is. I have bigger fish to fry with getting her what I feel she needs in school and that's where I focus all my energy at this point. SIGH! wink

I agree that the main focus has to be about getting DD's needs met in school. Go bh14! All of the above is just 'nice extras'

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Wei-I
    My kid was also tested with slow processing speed. At school and although he is only in K, they are addressing this issue is an odd way. I don't know if it is effective yet. They are teaching him how to write in cursive because cursive is supposed to be faster than print. At first, I was just wondering why they were torturing my child with more fine motor skills. But, they had a reason and claim that it has worked with other children. I'm anxiously waiting to see.

Good luck.
    Good luck Wei-l
    Nice that they are willing to do something, typing can be a long way away in kindy...
    I think that a little 'torture' of this kind can strengthed this weaknesses - one nice thing about sending one's child to school is that the teachers tend to have a little more stamina for this sort of thing than I would at home.
    Maybe your son will 'turn a corner' and start loving cursive - I hope so anyway.

My son got fascinated with a game called 'wall ball' during recess and his depth perception went from 4th percentile to 60th percentile - that's a big jump. I think his Intensity helped him there!

B
    B
    Yeah Grinity, I only wish our school psych. knew what she was doing wink

I know of several others who went that route and then had to take their results elsewhere and were told, she tested wrong. SO.... that won't happen. I heard the best time to test is after 5 anf before 8, so.... we are newaring our window. I know you can still test beyond that but....

Perhaps I will look into applying at some point. Portfolio may be my way to go then. I have plenty of scores (not sure if they are 99.9% as the tests only tell me 99% not any higher. She has to be at least within .9% of that though with what I do know. The school does not give copies of tests such as the CogAT. We get ITBS, but it's the basic of all basic results. You don't get the grade equiv. or any of the additional info that the school has. The downside is my whole state pretty much stinks for gifted. They are only required to identify gifted, not service them. This year has been our best one with the school so far, though we have a LONG way to go, but each step is a step in the right direction. I don't keep quiet though.... I let my needs be known without being too much a pain that they shut me out. I'll see how conferences go next month and go from there.

B
    B
    Also, I don't want the record of the IQ test from an inadequate tester going in her permanent record file at school (that's why I haven't gone that road.) I think she is more familiar with testing for remedial children than anything.

Originally Posted by bh14
    I know of several others who went that route and then had to take their results elsewhere and were told, she tested wrong. SO.... that won't happen.

Wow! That is so sad. I do see your point now. Do you have a private tester picked out?

We paid for our private tester out of pocket, and he still was clueless about LOG (level of giftedness) and misdiagnosed our son at age 7 on the WISC III. But at least it was 'enough' to get us into YSP. The school repeated the WISC IV a few years later when they turned him down for his gradeskip. Now DS13 is better served by above level testing like the SATs.

I love how every move in the right direction has been so important to DS13. It's great to see those good results even when the steps are small and slow.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

M
    M
    I don't have the time to read the other thread linked - wow, 9 pages! - so I don't know if this is addressed there. But my son had a significantly lower processing speed, too, and a 'significant weakness' on the picture concepts subtest, despite having scores quite similar to your child's. our tester told us this was common, not to worry about it. it niggled at me for a year, before I finally, just to stop the niggling, took him to a behavioral optometrist and discovered his right eye flickers on and off, his eyes are mis-aligned top to bottom (one sees half an inch higher than the other), they turn out, he has double vision, and is slightly farsighted. It was shocking - she'd say, look at the dot on the wall, and he'd say, which one? Now we are looking at doing the vision therapy. It feels very weird, b/c, as he says, he's already the best reader in the class! How can his eyes be bad? But I hear tell that it can really help their processing speed not to have to make such an effort to do that reading, and that many kids make great leaps after therapy. Makes me feel bad, imagining the poor kid. He was a late walker/jumper/etc, and I read around in developmental delay books and thought he had some sort of a motor planning problem...well, no wonder, when he sees two of everything and not at the same level! No wonder, too, he makes what seem like sloppy errors adding columns...the numbers are doubled and jumping around!

so maybe maybe there's something like this pulling the speed down in your case, too?

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Maybe I should get her eyes checked. It has been awhile. I had her eyes checked in Kindergarten because the teacher said that she squints alot. I really didn't consider it again because she does read all the time and it doesn't seem to bother her then. Like I said, it is only when she writes that the slow speed becomes an issue. Trying to get her keyboarding but she isn't that interested.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM