Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Your post made me think of this cartoon highlighting the challenges teachers face:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SJpQvXL0I...2wc/s1600-h/EEP_cartoonbox_slate_com.gif

B
    Barbara Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    How wise you are Dandy.

Hope that the teacher is able to let go and move past it...but unfortunately it sounds like both the teacher and your DS are kind of at standstill. DS upset because teacher isn't moving on and teacher is upset because DS is not cooperating with what he wants him to. I think they are both going to have to give a little.

I had a little "aha" moment (thanks, Dandy) and ds has (hand) written a very sincere and sweet note to give to the teacher tomorrow. This just feels like the right avenue, and I hope it will clear the air.

Last edited by Barbara; 10/01/09 08:19 PM.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Barbara
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    How wise you are Dandy.

Hope that the teacher is able to let go and move past it...but unfortunately it sounds like both the teacher and your DS are kind of at standstill. DS upset because teacher isn't moving on and teacher is upset because DS is not cooperating with what he wants him to. I think they are both going to have to give a little.

I had a little "aha" moment (thanks, Dandy) and ds has (hand) written a very sincere and sweet note to give to the teacher tomorrow. This just feels like the right avenue, and I hope it will clear the air.

Awesome. Hope that helps. It reminds me of when I recently wrote a very nice and sincere email to DS's teacher and principal after a not so good meeting. It got a very good response and some changes have been happening. Good luck.

B
    B
    Wow, since LD's are present in the same percentage of gifted kids as non-gifted, I wonder how this teacher justifies his position of no acomodations. This is a pretty harsh attitude toward a significant percentage of the population, unless he just doesn't believe that LD and gifted can both be present at the same time, in which case I would seriously doubt his qualifications as a teacher of gifted kids.

My son has an LD label, and does much better with a computer, but because he CAN write, his teacher encourages to do some work handwritten in addition to using the the computer. His output on the computer is light years ahead of his handwritten output, but as long as he's not hitting a wall of frustration, it's not bad for him to hand write journals and assignments that don't need to be polished. Every child is unique!

Benny
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent