Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    You all are going to think I'm nuts, but please take this in the most lighthearted way, just for fun. I was just thinking about something that happened recently and, not that I necessarily "believe" in these things, but would it make sense that gifted kids, who may be more intuitive than average, would have a higher chance of having a connection to things like "spirits" and knowing things that are happening elsewhere, i.e., having certain "gifts"? (Does my question even make sense? I'm not sure what the accurate terms would be - help me here).

Last week, ds (3y4m) was sitting with me in my bedroom while I fed the baby. He sat in an upholstered chair in front of the tv, way over to one side of it, like squished against the side (there's nothing unusual about that). We were watching the news. Out of nowhere he said, "I'm sitting next to Grandpa." I asked him more about it and he was emphatic that he indeed was sitting next to Grandpa. Who died when ds was 4 months old. (His other grandfather, "opa", died before ds was born. So I don't know where he even gets the concept of Grandpa.) We haven't spoken of Grandpa in quite a long time. This was a couple days before the 3rd anniversary of his death, and coincidentally my mom called me a few days later to announce that she is getting married again (another story altogether - eek. My parents had been married for 43 yrs). I tested him - I asked ds what color shirt Grandpa was wearing, since my dad always wore a blue v-neck. "Mommy, it's a BIG shirt like Daddy wears!" Well, that would be appropriate. A little while later, I was telling the story to my visiting mother in law (who, by the way, is hispanic and comes from a long line of people seeming to have similar gifts, including herself and her daughter), and ds insisted that Grandpa was outside looking at the car. Again I asked what color shirt he was wearing, and he said "it's NOT blue!!" All I could do was laugh but then I got to thinking - ds often says words, talking to himself, that I am thinking about, to the point where I stop and ask myself if I said things out loud, and I'm sure I haven't. In this case, I was consciously testing, so I know I didn't say blue. (by the way, he knows colors very well)

(it would be just like my dad to want to eavesdrop on what was going on LOL. At first the whole thing felt weird, but now it's kind of comforting to think he could have been checking on his grandkids. Annoying to think he may have been spying on me the way he used to try to listen to my phone conversations when I was a teenager)

Anyone else with similar experiences, where your kids seem to know exactly what words you're thinking, or "see" things? (For the record, whenever the older kids, 6, 6 and 8, have asked me about the existence of ghosts, I have always said they're just pretend.)

O
    O
    I can't speak about my kids but...

My father die several years ago. When I was at the hopital for my son's birth I thought I saw my Dad's face before me. OK, I was on medication, so who knows? But I felt like he was there in a way and that was nice.

I went back to my home state to visit some friends. While driving by my parents old home, The father and daughter dance song from my wedding came on the radio. It was: You are the wind beneath my wings.

Anything could be possible

F
    F
    I think gifties are more able to accept and question spiritual things.
    My DD 7 has recently asked us to get her a Bible. We don't do the whole church thing around here, so I asked her what brought on this sudden interest. She said that she feels that God is real but how can she know if she does not read about him.

C
    C
    It probably depends a lot on what examples they're exposed to! DS5 is a vehement atheist, determined (although explanations of why this isn't a great idea are perhaps beginning to sink in) to convince the other children in his class that no gods exist, hates compulsory school chapel, etc. (DH and I are atheists too, but more in the change the subject and think about the music mode!)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    CS Lewis' book "Surprised by Joy" is a book I highly recommend.

Its one thing to declare and cling to one's beliefs, it is another to confront the process in others or to remain ignorant of them.

A fearless mind will ask all questions rather than close itself off.

C
    C
    If you're recommending it for me, BTDTGTTS, thank you. If for DS5, well, maybe some day, but not just yet.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    It probably depends a lot on what examples they're exposed to! DS5 is a vehement atheist, determined (although explanations of why this isn't a great idea are perhaps beginning to sink in) to convince the other children in his class that no gods exist, hates compulsory school chapel, etc. (DH and I are atheists too, but more in the change the subject and think about the music mode!)
    Oh my we have this problem here as well. It doesn't go over too well!!!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Floridama
    I think gifties are more able to accept and question spiritual things.
    My DD 7 has recently asked us to get her a Bible. We don't do the whole church thing around here, so I asked her what brought on this sudden interest. She said that she feels that God is real but how can she know if she does not read about him.

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing that! We are a Christian family, but I am always open to hearing different things. I think it is good to do your research before you decide what you believe to be true. I mean, I did my research before buying a car...you certainly should before picking a faith or choosing to not have one. Anyhow, who knows if these kids can have more of a connection. Not sure if it has to do with giftedness or not but I have heard some interesting stories that sure make you wonder.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I really did word my post poorly. I mean things like ESP, not faith - though that is certainly another interesting subject re: giftedness! Two of my older kids have had significant interest in the Bible - ds6 for the gory-looking pictures in one grown-up Bible we have, and dd8 for anything about lambs in her child version. None of them have really questioned yet, except they're afraid of the devil. And I always enjoy CS Lewis - we read some of his stuff in theology in college (not to mention that the kids are very into the Chronicles of Narnia at this time lol).

Well,

Its a fact that kids and their moms share cells. During pregnancy, cells from the mother cross the placenta and take up residence in the child and vice versa. These cells are detectable for at least a decade or more later.

Fraternal twins also have this condition.

And there is are two phenomenon called Quantum Entanglement and Quantum Coupling which allow for action at a distance. Both are used now for making quantum computers.

So, I could see how information could be exchanged over a distance using the two concepts listed above.

But...

I know there are places I have been that I have felt a presence. One particular old house where I felt it, my DW mentioned it one day. Others who owned the house before us have told me the same thing out of the blue. And I have had dreams that later came true.

The most interesting dream had me awakened during the dream by a phone call that arose from some very unlikely circumstances. The being in my head said I would forget this in time...

General Patton is among the most famous for Deja Vu experiences and some of his (correct) remembrances about being a former Roman leader are documented.

Then there is lucid dream shaping and out of body experiences.

The ability of the top yogis to control their body processes is now well documented.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM