Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #56374 09/23/09 09:15 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Has anyone done the k12 assessment tests before purchasing classes for their kid? Are they accurate?

In general, has anyone had a good or bad experience with k12 curriculum?

J
    J
    My DS8 took the k12 assessments and tested out of highschool, which he is certainly not ready to be. My opinion is that the tests are not deep in any way: there are only a few questions on each topic, and they are not timed. So, for example, my son was able to look at types of math he had never seen before and take as much time as he needed to just sort of figure them out--without really knowing the theory/properties behind the problems or how to show the work. He was also able to work out a lot of the reading questions simply because they were multiple choice. Could he write a paper about text structure? No. Could he guess which structure was used in a particular passage by using his reasoning skills to pick the best answer? Sure. In short (too late for that now!), I think the tests might point you in the direction you need to go, but I don't think they will tell you exactly which grade level your child will need.

As for the k12 curriculum, we are only about three weeks in to using the k12 curriculum through a virtual public school--and any complaints I have about it are based on that. The curriculum itself seems fine so far--especially if used as a starting point rather than an ending one.

I don't know what grades you are curious about, but my 8 year old is in 5th grade for most subjects and 8th grade for math. I also have a 5 year old in kindergarten. If you want to hear any specifics about those grades, let me know.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM