Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    JoAnnQN Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I look at things like the Young Scholars Program or talent searches and I have no idea going about seeing if my kids qualify. They have never been tested, nor can I figure out how to get them tested.

We homeschool utilizing a virtual academy program across the state. That means we have transferred out of our district and officially become students of a school district five hours drive away. I don't think the district we live in would be willing to test a student who has transferred out of their district. The only testing our new district provides is annual MAP testing.

Paying for testing out of pocket is completely out of the question. There's no way we can find hundreds of dollars for IQ testing and achievement testing. I also don't know how to go about putting together a portfolio. As homeschoolers, we don't have much written work, nor do I know what to include.

RJH Offline
    I found a local psychologist to give the WISC to DS for $150. A local college will do it for about $50. Just call around, you might find a good price.

J
    JoAnnQN Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So, when you call the college, who do you speak to?

M
    M
    Unless you feel you need the lengthy report, consult and different assessments, try asking if the psych offers a "test score only" option. When I first started calling around, I was getting the $1500+ quotes, until a very nice receptionist asked what I needed them for and told me that they can do just a test for significantly less. We paid $165 for the WISC-IV with a 4 page report. There was no consult or explanation beyond what was in the report, but honestly, I can't imagine what they would have told us that we haven't picked up from this board and Hoagies.

Our achievement testing was done through a local tester who does it for the homeschooling community, since annual testing is required by the state. We use the WJ-III, pay $85 and get the scores right then. You also might be able to find someone at a local tutoring center.

C
    C
    We originally talked to the university's School psychology department. They need kids to have the students practice on. However, I would really caution you to make sure that your kids are old enough to handle this situation well and that you ask a lot of questions. My DS was barely 5. We were assured that all the students had experience and that she was just practicing a new test. For $75, I figured, why not!

She scared the living daylights out of him and also gave us a report that was so ridiculously far off I'm not sure why she even took the time to write it. The testing took place in a very small room with a 1 way mirror on one whole wall. DS asked why there was such a big mirror. She said "there are people behind there watching you and video taping you." He was completely freaked! Also, the test she ended up administering not the test that we were told she'd be using. DS has major perfection issues. During the test she was giving, she was required to tell him an answer was wrong and ask him to correct it.

Instead of doing what one of us would do. She repeatedly said "WRONG!" loudly, like a buzzer then "AGAIN!" loudly and meanly. (I know this because I demanded to see the video after he told me what happened.) She was harsh and inappropriate. She stopped the test about 2/3 the way through because he was crying and shaking like a leaf.

Her report says that he will probably never function in a normal classroom because of his extreme inability to deal with stress, unreasonable fears and more. Her results were also way off- not sure how she got them since she didn't finish the test.

I'm not telling you this to scare you- many others have had very good luck with our local university. But we didn't know better to ask the right questions. We found out later that she was studying to be a counselor in a high school setting and my DS was the first child under 12 she'd ever tested.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    She scared the living daylights out of him and also gave us a report that was so ridiculously far off I'm not sure why she even took the time to write it. [...] Instead of doing what one of us would do. She repeatedly said "WRONG!" loudly, like a buzzer then "AGAIN!" loudly and meanly. She was harsh and inappropriate. She stopped the test about 2/3 the way through because he was crying and shaking like a leaf.

This is what I dreaded more than anything with our DS. I had read similar stories (maybe even this same one elsewhere) and was very hesitant to proceed.

Fortunately, I was able to speak at length with each person who would be administering testing and was very comfortable with their personalities. Turned out that DS had a blast with each of them -- a very positive experience to be sure.

The Hoagies' page on GT-experienced psychologists also has links to a number of articles that discuss things such as what to look for and what questions to ask when finding a tester.
    http://hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Yep- Dandy- we just didn't know better. We were testing on recommendation of our pediatrician who said "He doesn't have ADHD, the teacher's nuts" and sent us to the university.

We did find a fabulous tester later and have been very happy with her results! I know many other people who have used the university with kids 8+ for talent search things and were very happy as well. it just wasn't pretty for our little guy!

J
    JoAnnQN Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Our local school district uses ITBS and CogAT for the gifted program testing. I may be able to get them done...not sure yet as the person I need to talk to wasn't in the office. Scores for these tests are used to qualify kids for University of Washington's summer program...so that would be a step in the right direction if I can get the school district to do it.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Have you checked the SD website on details about when they do testing for gifted programs? I don't know where in WA you are. but in the Seattle area they seem to have similar, but not equal, procedures. For the ones in our area, parents or teachers can recommend for testing, then they go through subsequent rounds of testing. Most of the time, you have to sign up way ahead of time (in the fall for testing in the spring, for starting the next fall).

I don't think Davidson would accept those scores. Also, if the kids qualified for the program you could be sure they are gifted, but would have no real idea of how (areas) or how much (level). Also, gifted kids sometimes do NOT qualify because they don't do well in a group setting, or got lost in the verbal directions....

B
    B
    I also add to please check the information if you go through a local college - we did that and paid $50.00 for the Weschler - the students give the assessment and then their professors (the psychologist) look over everything and help the student put the report together (which is why it is so cheap) - the tester we got had NO clue what she was doing, my son tuned out completely and the score report was an absolute joke. We came to find out this was the first assessment this student tester had ever done.

The next time we did a go around of assessments, I did my homework, put in numerous calls to various psychologists and testing centers I found online across my state and asked a TON of questions concerning their experience testing a 2e child and we found a good match....we only paid $400.00 for both the IQ test and the Woodcock Johnson Achievement tests - $400.00 is still a lot of money but it sure beat the REALLY high prices we were quoted at other centers - so there are deals out there - I suggest doing searches online for your state and local testing centers, psychologists, and universities/schools

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM