Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Yes!!!! Way to go JenSMP! I knew you'd figure it out!

M
    M
    Jen,

I'm new here, but we've homeschooled from the beginning (Dd is 9, would be 4th grade).

I'll second Dazed - a good "decompression" period is often called for when bringing students home to school.

However, if today went better - Hooray! Don't get discouraged, though, if you have a set-back. It's going to happen. Actually, yesterday (Monday), it may have been in the stars - we had a rotten homeschool day, too. smile Cyber-hugs on that, btw.

Since you've had exposure to the public school system, try to remember what that was like for you, your dc, and your family. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but sometimes it's hard to keep perspective. A journal (for Mom) helps a BUNCH! It can keep you sane as you go forward, especially when you can note problems, but then go forward and see the solutions.

As for reluctant family members... BTDT! Still dealing. Some will come around, once they see how well your child is doing, the positive changes, etc. My parents are still on the fence, usually, though Mom tends to fall off on the negative side a lot. LOL!

If they can't be supportive, then we just don't give them an opportunity to be otherwise - we don't discuss Dd's education, accomplishments, or anything with them. We talk about hobbies, camps, projects, etc (which are, in fact, "school") but NOT education, workbooks, tests, grades. In fact, my parents "lost" some of their time with Dd when they started haranguing her about homeschooling when they would have her for the day. They don't get to "babysit" her any longer, nor have her overnight alone, because of this - at Dd's request, I might add.

If you have an only you are homeschooling (or just one schooling at home), might I recommend taking at look at the Homeschooling Only One website - http://hoo.donnac.com/ ? There are loads of kind folks there who are extremely supportive. I'd guess about 50% of us have difficult relatives when it comes to hsing.

Sorry this is long, but HTH!

~ Mingo and 9yo dd
    W
    W
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    Wyldkat, that's exactly what's going on here. Today was much better! We did fly through some lessons, and it helped for ds to know we only had to do each part once as long as he showed me he knew the material. He focused and knocked it out. We also started some brand new material (from The Well Trained Mind) and he's already in love with Roman mythology! We jumped way ahead in math, and to my surprise, he was able to handle everything I threw at him. I was the one who had to call it quits today! He's so happy to be learning. What a relief. Thanks a bunch for your advice.

Yay!!! It took me a bit to realize that homeschooling/IS with a curriculum doesn't have to be as "thorough" (every problem on every page) as traditional schooling. As long as Wolf knows it we're done with it! Hooray for interest and excitement for school!

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I definitely followed a lot of it, and day 2 and 3 have gone beautifully! We are having so much fun, and my sweet boy is back! I guess I didn't realize just how much stress he was feeling. Now he feels free to express his thoughts and is thrilled to be learning "new stuff" everyday. I'm beginning to feel more confident in our decision to homeschool. I know ds is happy as a clam.

YEAH!!!! I knew you could do it!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Pleased to hear it is going well smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)