Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #55843 09/18/09 09:09 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was making an appointment for a conference with my son's 3rd grade teacher when she made a reference to the students being 8 or 9 years old. My son was with me at the time and he said, "I'm not 8 or 9." She looked at him and said, "Seven?" He didn't say anything more, but I realized that she doesn't know that he is still six. His birthday is at the end of November.

So I am thinking that it is a good thing that she didn't realize that he is younger... but I'm wondering if I should let her know that he's been accelerated or not? His handwriting is not really up to par, and I don't want her to think he's just messy...his writing is age-appropriate.

Any thoughts?

this is a really tough question...my thought is that his handwritting is probably age appropriate for a 7 so there isnt much to be gained....she can always look it up or ask DS if she gets curious. Very hard to know whats best here....maybe ask DS for his perspective? grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, I did ask him that afternoon. He said that he's already told several of his classmates and "they were all really impressed. It wasn't a bad thing, or anything." I guess it just hasn't come up with the teacher, although he had the opportunity to out himself and didn't...

exactly my point...

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Personally, I'd let it be until it becomes an issue.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, I'll keep my mouth shut. But if she asks me, I'm not going to lie. And I don't want DS to feel like he has to keep it a secret.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, everyone! It's good to hear from the voices of experience. I was thinking that something stopped me from mentioning his age to her right then and there. I should listen to that instinct.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Today at baseball, a casual friend from the other team asked if DS was in 4th or 5th, after realizing he was the same age (10) as his own son. I floundered, and in the end...I think he assumed 4th.

I always flounder when these things come up. I usually say something related but not explicitly answering the question, like, "He's in Mrs. X's class." Sometimes people are persistent though, and I just tell them because I'm not good at lying.

N
    N
    If we end up accelerating DS7, everybody will already know how old he is anyway because it's a small school and a small town and we just don't know how to keep our mouths shut. smile

He would undoubtedly tell them he was x years, x months, and x days old anyway!

E
    E
    interesting getting a preview...

Now that DS5 is "officially" in school we get the question more often now about what grade he is in.

seems like folks hesitate because he is on the taller side and is pretty articulate. "1st... Kindegartedn...?" they ask.

Well he is in kindergarten, and this is a bummer for me and DS because he often answers, "I'm just in kindergarten" A lot of his good buddies are in 1st and I think he would like to be in 1st for that reason.

We haven't tested yet but I am guessing he is MG and not globally advanced enough to be accelerated. I was planning to wait for the spring to test, but maybe I will do it sooner...

in situations where we are not asked directly I let folks assume he is older...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations