Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Hi Kriston,

You may want to see if you can find a psychologist that would do the test at your house. When I first had my daughter tested she was only 4 1/2 and I told her a very nice lady was coming to play with her. She was enthusiastic and even waited for the psychologist by the door. Because we were at home, she felt very comfortable from the beginning.

Just a thought.

N
    N
    We had the SB5 administered for our 7 year old daughter. She is extremely verbal and the psychologist, who deals with gifted kids, offered us the WISC IV on the spot due to her strong scores in that area, so she took both tests back to back. It was a long afternoon. She has qualifying scores on the WISC for DYS, we have not done an achievment test yet. The WISC is a great test for highly gifted verbal kids. We are considering the EXPLORE talent search test in January. Has anyone done this route for consideration for DYS?

nnngoose,
    Is the explore a group test? I think I read somewhere that the preference is not a group test if possible. Is that right, Trinity or Dottie?
    Kriston,
    Sounds like you have made a well thought out and reasonable decision. Good luck and hope DS has an enjoyable experience with the WISC, I'm sure he will, DD7 thought it was fun.
    I think you are wise to include two qualifying test scores for his application.

Dottie,
    which achievement test would you recommend for DD7 in terms of submitting to DYS?
    Thanks,
    Incog

Originally Posted by incogneato
    which achievement test would you recommend for DD7 in terms of submitting to DYS?

I'm interested in this as well wink

Thanks everyone. We'll hope for the best.

Originally Posted by Mia
    You know, Kriston, I've heard said before that any number of factors can go into a low score, but only one factor goes into a high score: what you can actually do. Sleep, illness, general discomfort, etc. can all skew results low. But you can't test better than you are -- if you got it right, you got it right. So without knowing him or any specifics, I'd guess that his WJ is probably more accurate than his SB. But you already know that. smile

There's alot of wisdom there, I think. I really doubted his WJ score at first. But the more time I spend with him, the more I realize just how bright he is. I assumed he was about on a par with his Dad and me; but DS6 is a lot smarter! Of that, I am certain. More motivated to learn, too.

Originally Posted by Mia
    So that said, good luck with the testing! Before Benjy's testing session, I set the clocks an hour ahead so he'd think he was going to bed "on time" at 8 -- read, not sleeping until 10. He went to sleep by 8:30 and was completely well rested the next day! Just an idea for sleeping from the mean mama. wink

Our big sleep problem was the fact that we were in a motel for the night, and DS6 NEVER sleeps well in a motel. It was stupid of us. We should have found another way. I even fretted about the chance of no sleep before the test when we were making the plans. We decided it would be okay. It wasn't. I'm still kicking myself...

Anyway, DS6 usually sleeps quite well at home, so I think a local test that lets him sleep in his own bed should solve most of that problem.

(But I will definitely steal the clock idea, too! smile Better safe than sorry!)

Thanks for the support. Keep me updated, would you?

Kriston
    LOL! I think it's safe to say that you had a lot on your mind at the time. Sometimes logic goes out the window when you're under that kind of stress. I know it does for me.

smile

And I'm glad your DS did fine on the test. Sometimes things work out!

My basic life philosophy is to try to live life without regrets. If I make the best choices I can at the time given the info I have, I tend to give myself a pass because I know I did my best. It's those "How could I have thought THAT was a good idea?" moments that keep me up at night, though. I tend to have little self-forgiveness for those lack-of-common-sense decision that I've made.

Ah, perfectionism!

Kriston
    acs Offline
    If you do the WJ, do make sure that the tester uses the subtests that will give a score that DITD accepts. DS had 9 subtests which produced 5 composite scores. Of all these (14 scores total) only one ( a composite) was accepted by DITD and that one (broad reading) was brought down by a fluency score of 105. Some of the other scores were >145, but none of these were acceptable. If I had it to do over again, I would have walked in with the DITD information and told them that I wanted all these subtests done!

Thank you ACS, are those listed on the site under qualification criteria?

Incog

Originally Posted by incogneato
    nnngoose,
    Is the explore a group test? I think I read somewhere that the preference is not a group test if possible. Is that right, Trinity or Dottie?
    Kriston,
    Group test is fine for the Explore, because it isn't an IQ test. Iowa acceleration divides the many test into three catagories: Achievement, Aptitude, and Ability. The IQ test fit their ability catagory, and for their purposes, or Davidson's YSP it must be an individual IQ test.

Theres the tricky part, the Explore test, when give as intended to 8th/9th graders, would be a Achievement test. When it is given to the talent search kids, at a much younger age, it is an Aptitude test.

I don't love the lables IASM uses for the tests, but I do love how they break them down into the three groups. It finally helped me negotiate through the swamp of information!

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years