Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    He hasn't sung for a long time. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me that this was a sign of unhappiness. I just assumed that he'd outgrown it or whatever.

Hey, that is awesome! We too have had a quiet house for the last year or so, until about a 6-8 weeks ago, I began noticing ds9 singing all sorts of music all day long. It really has coincided with his level of happiness returning to normal. I googled on the idea to see if there was any research on the correlation. I didn't find anything, but it is interesting. Glad to hear he is now singing again!! smile

A
    A
    That is awsome....Good luck on your new endevor smile

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    B
    B
    Your son's story made me cry, Shari....
    Big hugs to you and your son. I am glad to hear that things are getting better now.

Best Wishes!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi Shari, I was wondering how you were getting on. I am so sorry to hear that things were so tough for your DS and I am pleased that you are well on the way to getting your boy back smile
    As for purchasing the preschool - fantastic! You are obviously someone who cares so much for children and I think that all the children there (and their parents) are incredibly lucky. Good luck with this venture.

Originally Posted by BWBShari
    When I h/s him for K, he used to sing while doing his math. It drove me crazy! I couldn't figure out how he could concentrate on his work while belting out the oldies. Yesterday, while doing his math, he started to sing and I, big dork that I am, started to cry. He hasn't sung for a long time. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me that this was a sign of unhappiness. I just assumed that he'd outgrown it or whatever. One of the preschool teachers walked in and there I stood, tears running down my face and a big goofy smile. God, these kids are sooo hard! I can't tell you how scared I was that 3 weeks of school had screwed him up forever!

On a side note, the preschool is doing fine and I have a 3yo GT kid. Talks like a 10 yo!

Sometimes what the school can do works out for a while, and sometimes it doesn't...but I'm so glad that you have alternatives!

Sometimes it takes a lot of life experience for the annoying habit to become the treasured sign of happiness, but bless you for being able to have lived through the hard times and come back to this place of peace.

There is something truly releasing about knowing that you have done every step you could have done, and in the end are doing what you have to do. I hope that they pain your family has suffered is inversely proportional to the sweet release you get from having tried. It is so easy to forget that our little ones really do have special needs - but that will be harder now, given what you have been through. Perhaps you were one teacher, one classmate or one personality quirk away from having school work...but in this case, a near miss is as good as a mile and you know, for sure now, what your next step is.

Love, hugs and prayers,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent