Originally Posted by BWBShari
When I h/s him for K, he used to sing while doing his math. It drove me crazy! I couldn't figure out how he could concentrate on his work while belting out the oldies. Yesterday, while doing his math, he started to sing and I, big dork that I am, started to cry. He hasn't sung for a long time. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me that this was a sign of unhappiness. I just assumed that he'd outgrown it or whatever. One of the preschool teachers walked in and there I stood, tears running down my face and a big goofy smile. God, these kids are sooo hard! I can't tell you how scared I was that 3 weeks of school had screwed him up forever!

On a side note, the preschool is doing fine and I have a 3yo GT kid. Talks like a 10 yo!

Sometimes what the school can do works out for a while, and sometimes it doesn't...but I'm so glad that you have alternatives!

Sometimes it takes a lot of life experience for the annoying habit to become the treasured sign of happiness, but bless you for being able to have lived through the hard times and come back to this place of peace.

There is something truly releasing about knowing that you have done every step you could have done, and in the end are doing what you have to do. I hope that they pain your family has suffered is inversely proportional to the sweet release you get from having tried. It is so easy to forget that our little ones really do have special needs - but that will be harder now, given what you have been through. Perhaps you were one teacher, one classmate or one personality quirk away from having school work...but in this case, a near miss is as good as a mile and you know, for sure now, what your next step is.

Love, hugs and prayers,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com