Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 334 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    BKD #55121 09/11/09 01:19 PM
    Originally Posted by BKD
    There are things about it that we really like, but I'm getting a bad feeling that my reasonably strong views re equity of opportunity and ickiness of competitive schooling might not be in the best interests of my children.

I don't believe in use it or loose it - but I used to believe in 'public education.'

I was blessed to sit in a Deb Ruf lecture a few years back where she repeated: 'Do not put your child's needs 2nd to your social ideals' and 'your child is not a social experiment!' about 12 times. I really needed to hear that! She suggested that we egalitarian-types donate our time to help the kids in those schools, or work for change any way we can, but find schools were our children can get their needs met.

I found that really useful. And of course when I start feeling that I don't want my son subjected to all that social striving, I am also feeling that 'those people wouldn't like me anyways.' It was probably worth the 2 years of private school tuition to figure out that I didn't really like them-actually.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    BKD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    first time I was somewhere, instead of spending all my time waiting to be somewhere
    I can understand the sentiment. I think children do tend to be kept waiting a long time these days, before they get to really participate in the world. Perhaps part of the very prolonged teenage phase that seems to be common.

I've calmed down a bit since earlier in the week - curse that never-to-be-conquered (apparently) tendency to panic. No more fears about brain degeneration - am now confident that the test/school situation is screwy.

she repeated: 'Do not put your child's needs 2nd to your social ideals'
    Yup, I think I'm here too. Now for the hard part - finding a "least-worst" school. We've always been prepared to move, if necessary, but even so there aren't a lot of stand out options. I'm pretty certain that the only way we'd get a good fit is home schooling (I NEVER would have believed the day would come that I would say that), but it's not an affordable option.

It will be so wonderful to some day be very old and have this behind me.

BKD #55251 09/13/09 10:05 AM
    Isa Offline
    re: unlearning.

You know, I have a similar experience with DD. When she was 4 she could do simple sums in her head. But last year (5 yr old) she insisted that she needed the abacus, like in the school, and you could see trying to do the sum in her head while at the same time counting with the abacus like she was told in the school. She got mad at me because I told her not to use the abacus frown

In general, I think she has lost completely her self-confidence and thinks everything is so difficult.

Isa #55400 09/14/09 07:31 PM
    B
    BKD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I think she has lost completely her self-confidence and thinks everything is so difficult
    I think that's what we've got happening too, at least in part.

I had a talk with the psychologist, who is as mystified as we are. I'm not sure if this makes me feel better (for not feeling inadequate on my own) or worse (because she doesn't have a three-step solution). We're taking him to see her again next week to see if she can get some info.

She's also suggested I go to a parent seminar next month. I think I've done enough reading to be pretty up to speed with most of the sessions, but she suggests I use it as an opportunity to get specific info out of the presenters in between times. And I'd be interested in hearing Miraca Gross in person, having read so much of her stuff.

DS7, my insanity-inducing child, took a bag of school uniforms for show and tell. Uniforms from the magnet school that we didn't go to in the end because of his agony of misery at the idea.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM