Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #55016 09/10/09 05:22 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I know a lot of us are in the throes of first-few-weeks jitters and adjustments, so I thought I'd pass on some key pieces of "approaching teachers" advice I got yesterday from a gifted education teacher who's helping with our local advocacy group's efforts. He's been in the system for a couple of decades, has two gifted kids, and is very supportive of parents-as-advocates. Some of this may be obvious to the "old hands" out there but he had some suggestions that I hadn't considered.

N.B. This is mostly relevant for kids who will need differentiation/gifted services in regular classroom settings and don't have access to full-time gifted placements.

1. Try not to overwhelm teachers the first day or the first week with requests--most teachers will be more responsive when they've had a chance to get to know your child a bit and settle in to the school year. (Hard for me! I want an IEP NOW to make sure this whole school thing is going to work this year!) An exception is if your child has a pressing emotional/behavioral need that has to be addressed right from the start (school anxiety, etc) in which case a short note or quick phone call (if teachers have contact info) is helpful.

2. Don't assume teachers have been given all of the relevant paperwork (such as testing results). It can be helpful to send in an extra copy as a "just FYI" without asking for an immediate response/modification to your child's program.

3. Most teachers really want to help. Many teachers feel overwhelmed by the range of kids whose needs they have to meet and by the external constraints such as class size, support for special needs, state testing, and so on. Some teachers have very limited experience with gifted education. Anything you can do to "help teachers help" is appreciated, especially during the chaotic first few weeks. Words of thanks and appreciation and offers of assistance are always welcome.

4. Be very very careful with email because the lack of "tone" can make requests sound like demands.

5. Put together a list of easily-accomplished suggestions for modifications to share at a parent-teacher meeting (higher-level reading books, a different math text or online program, the option of having a laptop in class, subject-acceleration to the classroom of a teacher who's expressed willingness to have your child in the class). Have a few brief gifted ed resources and offer to share if desired (although he told me not to foist books on teachers, or purchase an extra copy of Susan Winebrenner's book...I'm very tempted, nonetheless.)

6. Keep stressing "special educational need" firmly, especially if confronted by teachers or administrators who are more familiar with the critiques of gifted ed than with the practice.

7. Find allies. Make gifted education a part of the PTA conversation. Find local teachers and administrators who are interested in learning more and set up an information session that includes parents and staff.

There's more, but you get the idea...Good luck, everybody! And thanks for all of the words of wisdom y'all share here.

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Thank you! This is timely. smile

I agree with #4. You can't imagine how many times I read and re-read the email before hitting the "send" button. So in the end, I kept it short and sweet and requested for a face-to-face meeting instead. :P

I find # 7 so hard to do IRL!

#2 and #3 are good reminders! I will have to spend some time on #5 so as to prepare for the meeting.

Thank you again!

O
    O
    I do appreciate those tips. thank you

I wonder about one of those points - showing teachers test results. Do they know what the test results mean in terms of what a child needs? My child scored some <21 on the woodcock Johnson test. So might that lead them to think he knows everything a 21 year old knows? I'm still trying to grasp what the scores mean.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent