Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    Here's an article which appeared in the Buffalo News paper. They are actually talking about serving the best and the brightest!!! WOW!!

Item: The proportion of students who leave high school with 12th-grade proficiency in math stands at 3 percent for African-Americans, 4 percent for Hispanics, 10 percent for Native Americans, 20 percent for whites and 34 percent for Asian-Americans.

Consider what most American schools provide their best students in math. Identified in sixth grade, these students combine seventh-and eighth-grade math in one year, not a difficult task as this content is essentially a repeat of elementary school arithmetic. Then each subsequent school course is taught a year early, making room for the Advanced Placement equivalent of a semester of calculus in 12th grade.

Not only is there no challenge in simply teaching a course a year early, but the entire program is wasted for most of these students. To lighten their freshman college course load, they repeat the calculus as a �gut� course.

Yep, that's what my district does.

Most importantly, this failure to serve our best and brightest is not recognized. As the film points out, 70 percent of parents are satisfied with their schools and, still worse, 79 percent of high school principals believe that their schools are doing a good job.

Item: Some years ago a New York governor proposed the establishment of four state schools for gifted high school students, like the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. Almost unanimously, school administrators fought his proposal. A local suburban principal argued that such schools would �just train scientists and engineers to give us more Challenger accidents.�

As the film points out, the one area in which we Americans outscore those from other countries is in self-confidence.

While a few states have followed the lead of North Carolina, most bright students are left to their own devices. The old refrain, �They�re so smart, let them take care of themselves,� remains a sad reflection on how we overestimate the motivation of adolescents.
    Every high school student, every math and science teacher, every school administrator and every parent should not only see �Two Million Minutes� but follow it up with action.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Most importantly, this failure to serve our best and brightest is not recognized. As the film points out, 70 percent of parents are satisfied with their schools and, still worse, 79 percent of high school principals believe that their schools are doing a good job.

Ahem. You can include me in the minority group on this one as regards our local school district.

Almost unanimously, school administrators fought his proposal. A local suburban principal argued that such schools would �just train scientists and engineers to give us more Challenger accidents.�

Scary. Really scary. Way, way scarier than the story of the first grade teacher didn't who didn't feel competent to teach third grade math. At least she was aware of the problem, which could be easily solved with a refresher course.

What kind of fool makes a statement like that? And can you imagine the level of a mind that could produce so many incredibly dumb and wrong ideas, on so many levels, in so few words?

So I'm not mincing words here, but I don't care. It's time to stop letting these types get away with this sort of thing. They're destroying the education system in this country.

Val

Originally Posted by Val
    So I'm not mincing words here, but I don't care. It's time to stop letting these types get away with this sort of thing. They're destroying the education system in this country.

Val

Public ridicule is a good place to start. There is reason why shame was invented.

B
    B
    What is sad is that this is exactly the reason why we just pulled out of public school and went back to homeschooling. The principal of the school had a real chip on his shoulder concerning gifted children. I honestly believe that the school systems today are completely sucking children dry of all their original thoughts and creative problem solving :-(

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    I honestly believe that the school systems today are completely sucking children dry of all their original thoughts and creative problem solving

I believe it with you.

J
    J
    Add me to that list, even though we have seemed to find a decent school... at least for K-5. wink

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Belle
    What is sad is that this is exactly the reason why we just pulled out of public school and went back to homeschooling. The principal of the school had a real chip on his shoulder concerning gifted children. I honestly believe that the school systems today are completely sucking children dry of all their original thoughts and creative problem solving :-(

A brief word on behalf of all teachers out there (of which I am one): We are expected to educate the masses. This means, in our current climate, that we not only have the occasional gifted kid in our classrooms, but also the physically disabled, learning disabled, mentally challenged, emotionally disturbed, attention-deficit, hyperactive, and English language learner - not to mention the fact that in some classrooms, there exists a poverty rate of over 90% (which is generally correlated with lack of parent involvement - which is generally correlated with poor student achievement). Imagine the meetings at the beginning of the year: The teachers are all sitting at tables staring at state assessment data for 8 hours with the principal droning on about AYP, telling them they're doing a crappy job, and demanding that instructional interventions be written up for the lowest students. These plans consist of 60 minutes each day during which the teacher works in small groups with low kids while everyone else completes independent work (code for what amounts to crossword puzzles or silent reading). The students above the 50th percentile aren't even glanced at. This is not the principal's fault - she is simply the messenger.

As a gifted teacher, I am fortunate in that most of my kids are motivated when challenged and come from homes with involved parents. However, I have taught in regular education classrooms with kids who drop the F-Bomb as part of their regular interaction with adults, get pregnant at 13, and can barely read their own names. This is NOT a failure of our teachers. It is a failure of our culture. It is a failure of our American system in which achievement and intellect are supposed to be valued but our system of government tries to make everyone equal.

So yes, in a sense, the system does "suck creativity and original thought" out of our kids - but I don't really see that teachers have much of a choice. No one can learn when Johnny and Deon are bouncing off the walls, Sarah is crying because she misses her mommy, Spencer has eaten only one meal in the last 24 hours (lunch at school), Brittany has severe dyslexia and needs everything read for her, Jose and Jorge are oblivious to anything because they can't speak English, and Matthew has just threatened to bash in the head of another student because he didn't get to count the money in the math activity. Not that it's right, but the easiest thing for the teacher to do is get everyone on the same page, try to reign in the most severe behavior problems, and do her best get the low kids passing the state assessments (because her job may depend on it). And this isn't just in the urban schools - we live in a suburban district with high test scores, and my kindergarten daughter comes home every day with stories about some girl in her class with severe behavior problems - screaming, throwing fits on the floor, scribbling all over other kids' papers, etc. However, the school is forced to educate this kid unless she hurts another student. So my child will undoubtedly suffer because the teacher spends 80% of her time dealing with one or more of these type of kids. No one's going to pay attention to my well-behaved daughter who quietly circles the "A's" on her worksheet of alphabet soup at school but asks in-depth questions about evolution around the dinner table. Not saying it's right, but it's the way the system is set up. And I really think most teachers are doing the best they can with the cards they've been given.

O
    O
    I have experienced some very caring teachers and seen the difficult situation. (I have also experienced some on remote control pilot - just coasting not doing any more than they have to.) I reccomend everyone volunteer in school occassionally to see their challenges.

I was a art helper last year. My son has been doing origami since K and lots of these kids did not known how to fold a piece of paper well IN 3rd GRADE!!!! I was amazed by this. The art instructions confused lots of the kids and my DS didn't even need the directions. He is gifted so that is part of this but there was a whole range of kids in between. Then there are the kids who just can't stay focused who spend half of the art class picking the glue off their hands. I was very surprised by all of this. Seeing the different levels is much different than hearing about it.

I know everyone can't volunteer but try to offer your teachers as much support as you can becuase if you want to make it better for the kids they need your help. Try to let them know what you appreciate because that will encourage them. Send them flowers in the spring and a apple in the fall. They have a very hard job. I think how hard it is to get 2 kids out of the house in the AM. Imagined dealing with a whole class. If the classes were smaller that wuld be much better but I don't see that changing any time soon.

J
    J
    I have a degree in education and opted not to teach because of the politics in my state's schools. Sadly, teachers are discouraged from teaching outside the CRCT box. And instead of being able to teach and expand on topics outside the box, they are stuck. Thankfully, there are MANY teachers that do reach outside the box anyway. I can say that we are VERY lucky to have good teachers for both our kids. DD3.5 (well 4 in one month) isn't in pre-k yet. Her class is full of 3&4 yr olds of all different levels. Her teacher, who is really just a daycare worker, not a certified teacher, has decided to group those that are ready and focus on site words and simple math, etc... that's HUGE! She is absolutely WONDERFUL. DS5.5 has an amazing teacher. She sent home grammar homework for him yesterday. She is able to pull him a bit from the norm of K work to really focus on his needs.

Just like any job, you'll have people that are there just to collect the paycheck - even if their initial intention was to do something that they love. And just like complaining about the President or your boss, in order to make things better, you need to get involved! Be an advocate for your child. Want the best education for your child, but don't forget to support those that are there to help your child with that education!

And that wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just my "vent", I guess. Sorry.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Really, truly...if you want perfectly individualized education, you are going to have to homeschool. Period. And my hat goes off to those who do just that. They really are creating an optimal academic situation. Any group setting, even one within an HG school, will require some degree of compromise, as the needs of two kids are rarely alike. Even in my own house, with just three children, I find it hard to "be all" to each of them simultaneously.
    Parents who home school their kids into selective colleges are remarkable! I am not nearly that talented, so I opt to drive my kids to their best-fit schools instead.

I just attended the open house for my daughter�s high school last night and am (again) thoroughly impressed by how each one of her teachers are so highly qualified and dedicated to working as a team in training their students to think critically and logically.

My kids have been fortunate to have several excellent teachers all through their PreK-middle school. Like any career, there will be individuals with different competencies, motivations and personalities. We too are extremely grateful to all those who exemplify the professional teacher which includes all those who comes here for earnest discussion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM