Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    My DS did this also (pre-acceleration). He would also sneak his book under his shirt and take it with him to the bathroom. Lord alone knows how long he would 'hide' in there and read (if what he does at home is anything to go by it could be over half an hour!)

(He also does this at home by the way, whenever the thankless chores need to be done.)

I discovered this when I popped in (on the spur of the moment) to help out with reading groups and he wasn't there.

The teacher was just so busy she didn't notice the length of time he was away!! It didn't help that she was letting him read in class whenver he felt like it as (in her words) "he already knows what I'm teaching".

So maybe boredom is the cause?

tory #54875 09/09/09 04:55 PM
    H
    H
    I am in the same boat as Austin. I would just leave or hide from the bus altogether. I was a rule follower but sooner or later the rules didn't make any sense. I would just read my books wherever and get someone else in class to tell me what was due and when. This was 4th grade. Before that I sucked up to the teachers to get them to allow me to help them. Sad I know. My son started doing the same things in 1st grade. I would get the reason from him and let him know he won't be punished for being honest.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I appreciate all the responses. At least it seems like DS is in good company. *lol*

Like Tory and MoN mentioned above, I think the teachers ignored it last year because DS doesn't get behind. He knows the content or can teach it to himself, and if he missed a worksheet or two, he just takes it home and does it here.

It'll be interesting to see what his teacher has to say. I know that I need to address the issue, but I do worry about removing DS's coping mechanism unless we can fix the underlying issue(s).

BTW, at what age does parenting get simpler? crazy

Last edited by Mama22Gs; 09/10/09 03:07 AM.
    J
    J
    Apparently it NEVER gets simpler! My parents are still in over their heads with me. HA.

I hope your issue gets "resolved" soon. I would fake being sick, and apparently I was a good actress. That, and by high school, I ALWAYS had a hall pass - even when they were made by me. smile

LOL, JJsMom. Senior year my (HG+) best friend was an assistant to a very lenient teacher during the teacher's prep period. So my friend had a lot of free time and a free hall pass. He would often pull me out of class to hang out. Allegedly we were working on play preparations, but mostly we were just skipping class!

smile

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM