Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #54809 09/09/09 08:15 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Anybody's kids take "potty breaks" at school just to escape? Do you try to fix it or just leave them be?

DS7 told me last night he spends half the school day in the bathroom. He said he really needs to "go" (not have a BM), and that when he gets back, he has a lot of classwork to make up. The restroom is just down the hall, and how long can it really take that he has a bunch of work to catch up on? I asked why he doesn't use the bathroom at home that frequently, and he said because he can sit and read at home, and he doesn't have to use the bathroom then.

My opinion is that he's taking these breaks as a way to 1) escape the noise and stimulation for a while, 2) get away because he's not able to do what he wants when he wants (control) in the classroom, or 3) because he's bored.

What would you guys do?

O
    O
    I would say talk to the teacher about this and find out her inpressions. Is he bored or seemed bothered at school. Also, talk to your son more and show your empathy for the situation. I think when kids feel understood that goes a ling way. It' a new year and my kids take a good month to get in the groove. I hope this helps.

Sounds like he has found a way to cope. You just need to give him a way to cope IN class.

He may escalate, though.

When I was his age, I just walked out of school and went home and called my mom.

She then called the school asking them to have me ready because I had an appointment. She then showed up at the school.

That caused a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Things changed - I got to go to the library two hours out of the day and sat in back doing my own thing - reading. I just had to take the tests with the rest of the class.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I would say talk to the teacher about this and find out her inpressions. Is he bored or seemed bothered at school. Also, talk to your son more and show your empathy for the situation. I think when kids feel understood that goes a ling way. It' a new year and my kids take a good month to get in the groove. I hope this helps.

OTGMom, thanks for the reply. I've emailed his teacher to get an accurate read on how much time he's really spending outside the class. I know that DS won't show he's bothered or bored at school. That's not his style.

DH and I talk with DS pretty much daily about his feelings, because he needs a lot of help to work through his thoughts and anxieties.

While I'm hopeful this is just the beginning of the year jitters, I worry that it's become his routine. I think DS may have had this same habit last year as well. There were A LOT of days DS would bring home a bunch of worksheets and say he had to do them as homework because he was in the bathroom when the rest of the class did them as classwork. Frankly, it just didn't hit my radar until now.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Austin, thanks for writing.

DS is a "rule follower" at school, so I'd be surprised if he escalated. Were you the type to explain why you left and went home? Or did your Mom/school just decide to try letting you do your thing as an experiment and that worked?

DS isn't the type to tell me what's really wrong in this case, so I'm trying to figure out the cause. Appreciate the insight into your experience.

M
    M
    My DD used to "go to the bathroom" and wander in to the adjoining unoccupied classroom for undetermined amounts of time. I only found out when she came home with candy and told me it was from the candy jar in Ms. X's room. smile She also spent a great deal of time in the prinicpal's office that year. The teacher had no idea what to do with her and she learned very quickly to manipulate the situation without 'breaking the rules'. I would definately try to figure out the cause early.

Last edited by melmichigan; 09/09/09 09:31 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    W
    W
    [DS is a "rule follower" at school, so I'd be surprised if he escalated. Were you the type to explain why you left and went home?[/quote]

In elementary school I spent a considerable amount of time in the library without my class. I also remember pretending to fall asleep so that I could stay inside while my class went to recess. In elementary school I thought my classmates viewed me as the "teacher's pet". I never thought I was particularly bright.

In middle school I left class when a history teacher called a boy a "f***ot" for wearing a pink shirt. I told the teacher I wouldn't return to class until he apologized. I wandered the halls and then wrote a letter explaining why the teacher's behavior offended me. I don't remember getting in trouble for leaving class. This wasn�t the first time that I'd wandered the halls. In high school I started ditching for longer stretches. Two weeks was my longest unexcused absence.

F
    F
    I used to go to the clinic smile
    I guess it became so much of a habit, they called my mom to see what medical condition I had. busted!

A
    A
    In Elementary and up until 9th grade I did the bathroom thing and the library. Then I changed schools for high school and it had an open floor plan (some of the rooms didn't have walls and the library was open to the hall ways and other classrooms). I did go to the bathroom a good bit (only place with walls). However, during my Senior year I did hang out in the office a lot. Nope wasn't in terrible but if I was in there the secretary didn't care, the prinicpal didn't come out, and if a teacher saw us (a lot of seniors in there) they either thought it was for a meeting or we had to talk to the principal or we were office workers. Love it when you can hide right in front of everyone.

Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    Austin, thanks for writing.

DS is a "rule follower" at school, so I'd be surprised if he escalated. Were you the type to explain why you left and went home? Or did your Mom/school just decide to try letting you do your thing as an experiment and that worked?

DS isn't the type to tell me what's really wrong in this case, so I'm trying to figure out the cause. Appreciate the insight into your experience.

I could read at a HS level and we were doing "see spot run" and telling time. It was excruciatingly boring. I'd brought in some books from home to read and the teacher took them from me. I was pretty outspoken about it and she said I could not go to recess and had to sit and think about it. So I just left when she took the class out of the room. IIRC I had some books at home I could read so I left. It was a matter of choosing what I wanted to do - which was read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM