Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I had planned on waiting to send it off, but I just couldn't hold on to it, so now it's en route to Nevada. We had qualifying scores in 2 different categories on both achievement and IQ, so hopefully that will be enough. How important are the answer to the questions?

DS7 just doesn't seem PG, he's not a self taught math wiz and he doesn't write much. He just asks questions, lots and lots of endless questions that make my head hurt. Then he takes the answers to those questions, twists them and turns them in his head and comes up with connections that make my right eye twitch a little. That's pretty much how I answered the questions (ok, I left out the eye twitching part!), so hopefully that is something close to what they're looking for, lol.

I just have a hard time thinking that he's really *that* gifted, you know? But, if DYS is willing to help us make sense of what we're supposed to be doing for him and help him find his place in the world, then they call him whatever they want!

Is anyone else applying for this month?

N
    N
    Good luck, mamaandmore!

A
    A
    We will get ds7 scores back on Wednesday. I am hoping that ds scores are high enough b/c I too would love DYS to help us make sense of what we're suppose to be doing for him and help him find his place. Unlike your ds my ds is gifted in math. As a 2nd grader he has been moved up to 3rd and is working on 5th grade math. Of couse this level of math depends on what curriculum you are looking at and 5th being on the lower side.

Kathy

D
    D
    Originally Posted by mamaandmore
    How important are the answer to the questions?

DS7 just doesn't seem PG, he's not a self taught math wiz and he doesn't write much.

I just have a hard time thinking that he's really *that* gifted, you know?
    Some of the questions sounded to me like, "Has your child cured cancer yet?" or "What is your child's position on the latest international nuclear non-proliferation treaty?"

I had to honestly write, "Nothing like that here, sorry!"

And as for the "exhibiting prodigious talent?" question, I was totally stumped. His scary-skills in reading & language aren't really something that will get him on the Tonight Show, and he's not going to participate in a Math competition @ Berkely anytime soon, either.

So who knows. Although, I am tempted to answer: "Well -- he's only seven, so when he stops teasing his sister, maybe he'll get crackin' on that treaty!")

I got the preliminary WJ-III results right after testing yesterday, but don't get the full report until Tuesday (Stupid Labor Day holiday!) His verbal achievement looks to be as strong as his WISC-IV, but we need the "official" answer before finalizing our application.

Thinking that waiting a whole five hours for his preliminary results on the WJ-III were stressful ('cause it was only a couple of hours on the WISC-IV!)... I imagine the answer from DYS will take a tortuously long time to arrive.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    B
    B
    Hi mamaandmore,
    We are applying for this month also!
    I am so nervous.. sick

Good luck!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Oh good, I won't be biting my nails alone! Good luck to everyone!

Kathy- it sounds like you guys will have an easier time of answering the questions than we did! DS is working several grade levels ahead in math, but he didn't teach himself, he just moves through things at lightening speed. So, it's just enough of an ability to make it hard for us to keep him in a math curriculum, but not enough for me to highlight it as a talent!

Dandy- that's how I read the questions, too! I had initially decided not to pursue IQ testing for DYS because the questions made it seem like they were looking for a different kid than the one I own. Once we had the scores though, I called DYS to ask exactly how they expected me to answer the questions for a 7 year old. The guy was really nice and said that they took age into account and that they aren't looking for kids this age to be doing calculus or curing cancer. He also said we don't have to justify the scores with the answers to the questions. I think the questions are more to give some depth to the kids, since they are more than just some numbers. I kind of side-stepped the "prodigious talent" question by saying that DS is more of a thinker and giving examples of how he does hands on problem solving just to see what works or doesn't work.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Some of the questions sounded to me like, "Has your child cured cancer yet?" or "What is your child's position on the latest international nuclear non-proliferation treaty?"

I had to honestly write, "Nothing like that here, sorry!"

Really? I just looked at the current application and I see they seem to the be same questions they have been asking for years. I really didn't get the cure cancer vibe even a tiny bit. I just got that they were trying to find out beyond the numbers what is this kid like. It is perfectly fine to honestly talk about kid stuff. I don't think it is too much to ask to describe how the kid seems to learn.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Really? I just looked at the current application and I see they seem to the be same questions they have been asking for years. I really didn't get the cure cancer vibe even a tiny bit.

Sorry -- I'll add a little more drip to my sarcasm in the future. wink

But part of this (for me) came from an article at their site that discussed differences between EG & MG kids. According to the LOG-chart-du-jour, my wundkind falls into the PG column, so after reading that article I looked at his scores again and thought, "Nope - not my kid."

Remember, I'm dealing with N=1 for a sample size, so everything my son does is average. I don't easily recognize "surprising depth" or "prodigious talent" as such.

After speaking with his doctor -- and seeing what he's been able to do with a WOT in a couple of areas -- I'm anticipating some incredible accomplishments (relatively speaking) once he's no longer constricted by the lock-step curriculum.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    M
    M
    mammaandmore - best of luck!

M
    M
    Hi mamaandmore,
    Good luck to your DS. Hope your (home)school year is shaping up well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM