Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    BKD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    So there I was at assembly this morning, and awards were being given out for reading. DS7 is officially in the grade one part of a 1/2 class. Three of the grade two students were called out with much fuss to get awards for being able to read more than 600 words! Then DS was called out and given some sort of award, but no mention made of what it was. Turns out it was a happy birthday certificate, a few weeks late. I'm over-reacting now I know, but feeling rather upset that they couldn't give him any acknowledgement. Perhaps if he was encouraged he might actually start reading for enjoyment.

N
    Nan Offline
    N
    Does your DS read well beyond grade level? If so, I can certainly see why you'd be upset! I know I'd be feeling rather disgruntled with such a ceremony if my DS were in your DS's place. It seems as if all students in that class who meet that standard should be acknowledged for it (since it seems that this is what they do at your son's school). I'd probably ask the teacher about it because I'd want to know why DS hadn't also been included.

As a side note, is reading 600 words really something to be excited about for an average second grader? That seems like rather a low number for a public awards ceremony. Of course, I also think it's a bit silly for a school to count the number of words someone can read into the multiple hundreds! By that point, how can you really count them anyway?

B
    BKD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    The teacher has said he's at the top of the 1/2 reading group. He's always resisted reading at home, but I bribed him earlier this week, so now know that he can easily read quite a long way above grade level (Famous Five - 250 odd pages from the "teen" section of the bookshop).

I wouldn't have thought 600 words all that exciting, though it may be that those children were struggling and have had a breakthrough - I'm all for recognising effort and personal achievement as well as the actual standard. But my poor boy - I saw his face fall when he came up in front of the school and then read that it was only a birthday certificate.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations