Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    RE: Saxon Math - Is anyone familiar with how this program works? My understanding is the learning is all integrated instead of topics divided into chapters. The HW lets the teacher know how well the student understands the lesson from that day. There is a overall assessment every 5 days.

Mys DS9, in 3rd grade is doing some 5th grade Math and loving it. but....

My understanding is he listens to 3rd Grade instruction for 5 mins., then he does 3rd Grade worksheet side A which takes him 5 mins. then side B is HW which takes him 5 mins. After 5 days there is an overall assessment. Our IEP was he should only listen to instruction then do his 5th Grade Math. Teacher is concerned he will miss concepts if he doesn't do the pages. Teacher is concerned he needs to know 3rd Grade Math for Iowa.
    I'm wondering if he could just listens to the instruction and then do the assessment every 5 days? I wonder if this would work?

That doesn't sound so bad but last year he became disengaged at school sometimes and developed bad work checking habits and failed some papers not due to lack of knowledge. My understanding is lack of attention to work when kids have to do too simple work is typical. Currently my
    DS is not complaining and is so happy he is doing 5th grade Math.

HE does 5th Grade Math after he is done with the 3rd grade Math while the rest of the students are finishing their work.

This is my first time with an IEP and we are breaking new ground at our school. I wish before we met for the IEP I would of been able to see the plan so I had time to think about it. They say they never had a student like my DS before but they are willing to work with me. I want to be careful to not be too high maintenance. Now I questioning our plan. Maybe we should have compacted and accelerated 3 & 4 math before doing 5th grade Math. Or figured out where the wholes in the education would be and address those. Overall the teacher seem to get him and let him skip some repetitive reading because she said he got it and could than do something like read. DS has also been able to read or do his extra Math book from home when he finishes his work early.

I thought the idea of the testing we did was to figure out what to do with him but I still don't get what to do and I'm not sure the school does. I'm thinking he can do math like a 11yr old-6th grade to 15 yr old-10th grade, but doesn't know everything they would know because he hasn't been exposed to all the math they would know. What ????? This is confusing. I hope somebody can help who can explain this in a very simple way.

my ds9 broad score from Woodcock Johnson III Achievement test.
    He is going into 3rd Grade.

Broad Reading 133, 99%
    Broad Math 145, 99.9%
    Broad Written 127, 97%

Norms based on 8yrs,9months

subtest,stadard score, percentge rank, Age equivalent

Letter word ident., 122, 93,12-9
    reading Fluency, 137, 99, 14-6
    Spelling, 126,96,15-2
    writing Fluency 130,98,12-1
    passage comprehesion 126,96,15-3
    writibg samples 101, 53, 8-11
    word attack 121,92,16-11
    reading vocabulary, 137, 99, 15-4
    Story recall 128, 97, >21
    understanding Directions 121, 92,15-0
    Calculation 146, 99.9, 15-2
    Math Fluency 122, 93, 11-2
    Applied Problems, 140, 99.6, 13-10
    Picture Vocabulary 118, 89, 12-0
    Oral Comprehension 138, 99.5, >23
    Quantitve Concepts 130,98, 12-11
    Academic Skills, 134, 99,14-1

cluster grouping:
    Basic reading skills 123, 94, 14-1
    Reading Comprehension, 136, 99, 15-4
    Math calculation 143,99.8, 13-4
    Total Achievement 140, 99.6, 13-6

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/03/09 08:11 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Dottie - thank you.

If you were me wouldn't you try to at least get him out of the daily papers and just do the assessments? The school needs some baby steps. I'm worried about the poor work checkig habits coming back and this shouldn't cause extra work for the teacher.

I think if we had a whole in the weekly assessment occassionally that he could bring home a weeks worth of papers he didn't do and just get it figured out. I feel like I can still help with his 3rd grade math but I have my "calculator head" husband as a backup.

I'm started to understand this test more clearly. thanks. I think I kept relating ds to the age and because it's familiar. This is a lot of new stuf for me.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/03/09 10:35 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you. (this will sounds relatively simplistic after my long explanination but...)That's what I thought. LOL

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I also called saxon and they were wonderful. I sent My DS teacher a email and feel more confident.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I'm not a "mathie" person but I think the Saxon Math is wonderful. My issues have been more about appropriate level of challenge. It sound like at our school many kids struggle with their math and this math doesn't move too fast and reinforces concepts learned during the day. The parents get to see what the kids are having trouble with so they could give extra help if needed. I also like how the questions are trickie to make sure the kids really pay attention. The kids get one timed test and side b to do for HW.

Thanks for your comments. very helpful. I like this group - you get me! sometimes more than i get myself

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/04/09 09:17 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent