Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    Chris1234 you described my DS6 perfectly - that is exactly what is happening with our little guy. When he asked to write his chapter book the other day ..he was just giddy and super excited and was literally hopping from one foot to the other about the concept he had for his book. He started spewing out stuff left and right like a giant volcano exploding and I couldn't keep up with him. I grabbed a piece of paper and showed him how to jot down the ideas that were in his head before they got lost. There is just no way he could have gotten everything typed out if I hadn't typed for him while he told me the story.

O
    O
    Are other people seeing this sort of welling up of energy, which, while clearly the source of the cool ideas, might also be the reason it is nearly impossible to write?[/quote]

The hand shaking and excitement happens to my son often when he gets excited about an idea. sometimes it actually feels a unconfortable to me but I try not to show that.

I think a little tape recorder would be great or even a video recording. I haven't tried this yet but I should.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/01/09 06:59 AM.
    I
    I
    Yes - I've seen DS6 get excited and he wells up and just talks endlessly. I've had to type his ideas for him in the past. I used to get like this at school too. The minute the questions was posed - I'd have what felt like 100 ideas at once and would have to scribble everything down really fast so I wouldn't lose my best ideas. Then I'd be able to actually wirte the test essay under exam conditions - but I guess I was about 15/16 before I had really gotten this skill down. My father used to tell my mother that his hand couldn't keep up with his brain - and you could literally see it on his face when he was listening - that his mind was working over time, thinking through 5 things and he was about to blurt out the next point ...with no concern for where his audience was ...

hkc75 #54235 09/01/09 01:42 PM
    Originally Posted by hkc75
    I was just informed that my DS7 would be bumped up into the GT LA program at his school. They decided that his reluctance to write would not be a problem. ... They agreed to allow me to transcribe his assignments and he would then be expected to copy and edit. So I was just wondering at what age reluctant writers start to write and how much should I push this with him? Anyone have stories of this?

That is wonderful! DS13 turned one corner in 3rd grade when he had to write a paragraph for every letter of the alphabet. The first letters he would try to edit/critique/rough draft all at the same time, with lots of frustration and low results. Everything looked 'too babyish' to him. But by the end of the alphabet, he finally 'saw the light' and got giddy so he would toss out any old thing. Looking for a 'Winter Subject' that started with the letter Y I remember that we were both having fits of giggles. 'Yule Logs are hard to find in Jewish homes....' something like that. I see that as a big step forward in DS overcoming his writting reluctance. The next year he learned to type and the rest is history.

I think that when your son has something that he wants to say, and an audience to hear it, he'll want to write. Maybe encourage him to compose letters to the local newspaper on his perspectives?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    BKD Offline
    B
    Thanks for the link OTGM - I've just started thinking that we should look for something like that!

BKD #54783 09/08/09 08:01 PM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Funny you should mention that Grinity because today DS7 had his first live lesson with his teacher and fellow classmates. I couldn't keep his hands off the keyboard he was so busy chatting with the other kids. When it was over he said he might like to do online school for maybe 4 more years. (He wants to go to school when he is old enough to date.) Funniest thing to me was the fact that he almost always leaves off vowels in his spelling so for chatting online he was in 7th heaven. LOL I think we are well on our way to keyboarding and skipping writing altogether.

As far as the excitedness, my DS starts covering his ears when there is more than one question. He needs peace and quiet to ponder. He is a deep thinker.

hkc75 #55119 09/11/09 01:10 PM
    Originally Posted by hkc75
    I couldn't keep his hands off the keyboard he was so busy chatting with the other kids. When it was over he said he might like to do online school for maybe 4 more years.

Thts wndrfl nws! I'm so gld h's hvng fn.

too funny!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    hkc75 #55476 09/15/09 02:22 PM
    J
    J
    That's awesome that they're letting him move up and letting you transcribe for him!!!

My son is only 5 but last year it was such a fight to get him to trace a letter and this year it's much better. I think with him his motor skills just developed a little more and it's not as much of a struggle for him.

Good luck!

H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Well he now knows several short cuts like ? for the actual word question, " if you are repeating something above it, #, and several others. I am trying to teach him some of the fun shortcuts so writing is a little more interesting. My son hated tracing too. He loves the emoticons on the computer and really loves LOL, ROFL, U2, etc.

hkc75 #55808 09/18/09 10:04 AM
    O
    O
    FUNNY SPELL CHECK

Eye halve a spelling chequer, It came with my pea sea, It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long And eye can put the error rite Its rarely ever wrong. Eye have run this poem threw it I'm shore your pleased two no Its letter perfect in it's weigh, My chequer tolled me sew.

I thought this was fun. enjoy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM