Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    News to me. My son told me he doesn't read at school, except for a couple/few times a week in guided reading. He has the daily choice to read to himself or watch a book with animations, sound effects and narration on the computer. Guess which he chooses? This isn't the norm for public school, is it? Their math is at least a year behind where he left off last year, and I just signed him up for a JHU CTY distance learning math course. Now I find out about the reading. Not much I can do about it - the district doesn't provide gifted services in second grade. So I guess I'll just become an unofficial home schooler!

My dd is also in 2nd grade but I know that she reads all the time in class. I'll have to ask her how often but what you described doesn't sound good at all! frown

Yes, reading every day. And computer time is NOT a substitute! What's up with that? frown

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Well, since there's nothing I can do about what happens during the day in school, I guess I'll look on the bright side. School last year was traumatic, this year it's fun. He needed that. And now I know what we have to do at home.

btw, Kriston, I completely agree with your comment on that other thread about the YSP application, about how hard it is to answer those questions (especially without objective proof like my 7 yr old attends XYZ High School!), and that the concept of proving your child is at the very top is a bit perverse. But the possible help is well worth everything that goes into it. And no matter what, I've learned a lot from reading everyone else's posts and my son is already benefiting from my new knowledge (such as dusting off that Cluefinders game). Good luck to you and Mia, and I hope to hear good news about Tammy's daughter in 2008.

Yes, there's strength in just knowing what you have to do. And, as you say, at least your DS is happy with school. That's worth a lot, I think! So welcome to the wonderful world of afterschooling, eh?

And thanks for the "no, you're not weird" and the good luck wishes. smile Whether we get DS into YSP or not, I'm planning to stick around. I, too, have learned so much here! Good forum!

Kriston
    P
    P
    My kids (1st and 3rd graders) read every day in school, and they have nightly homework in reading. My first grader must read 10 minutes at home nightly, and my third grader must read 20 minutes at home nightly. I am shocked that your second grader isn't reading at school.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    No, Dottie, he is exceedingly honest. In fact, he told me last night something along the lines of you see, Mommy, I'm not telling you I'm not reading just to get out of reading at home - I really don't have to read at school. Absolutely shocking. He had more reading at school in kindergarten. He has 20 minutes of reading homework a night - but they don't care who reads to whom. And he tells me in guided reading he's in a group that only reads 4 and 5 letter words - he's so glad he's not in the group that reads those long words - they're so hard! Meanwhile, when he agrees to read at home, he chooses to read passages from adult level science books where he has to sound out long scientific words (or maybe, he just knows the words from context? It's certainly possible for him.) Yikes, is all I can say.

btw, Dottie, I've read so many old posts about the scores that are inflated for young children. Are they the verbal on WISC-IV and the oral language on the WIAT? Those are his stengths (although if you spoke to him, I'd think you'd find them accurate). Still trying to get this application out by Monday to meet the December deadline. Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    No, I didn't think you were saying he was lying, and I know what you mean - as in last year, in a meeting with his teacher about writing, she said we don't write all day long - just the journal. And when I mentioned that he complained that every discussion whether in math or reading was followed by a workbook, she looked stunned, and said, oh, I hadn't thought of that! I think that his current teachers rightly expect the kids to read along with the computer generated highlighted text, but he prefers to watch the animations while listening to the stories (and I don't blame him, they're great!). And the teachers are trying to instill a love of books in the children (which is certainly not necessary in Mr. Another Book/Another Chapter, PLEASE?). I suppose I could mention that to his teacher, but why destroy his fun. We'll make up for it outside of school. I don't want to be the one to take the computer away from him - and the basic phonics help when he gets it is good for him.

as for verbal, we're going in with 148, 149 (with a 157 on comprehension). His writing scores certainly weren't overinflated - LOL!

Nah, I think the early inflation of WJ is pretty well-established and good to note. It's a nice clarification, but I don't think you're going to be in anyone's doghouse, Dottie.

smile

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs