Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #53673 08/27/09 06:22 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I've been thinking of starting a family fun night. I have a DS9 and DD6. any ideas. What make this work for your family. Sometimes it gets hard becuase my kids are different ages and have different interest and skill levels.

the best luck we've had is with charades, our dd3 can even participate...

X
    X
    We have done lots of things and need to get back to family night.

Some things we have done in the past.

* A family size puzzle. Everyone picks a part to work on and the four year old usually helps someone find their pieces be it the edges, a color etc.

* Game Night. Monopoly, Blockus, Scene it etc.

* Baseball in the backyard. Haven't tried football, that might be fun for fall.

* Movie night of course. With the lights off, all sitting on the couch with popcorn.

*Wii game night. The sport type games work well.

S
    S
    not sure what you are looking for. Mine are only 2 and 5 so we do play a game with DS5 every night before bed. We do this after DD is already in bed though since he pretty much plays adult games like scrabble and stuff anyhow. We have had campfires in the backyard all together and made s'mores. We go out for icecream, we go on a walk to a park that's not too far from our house, we play outside in the backyard together, go swimming together. We also do a game a little earlier with DD2 since she is starting to play little games like cariboo and hi ho cherrio and don't break the ice (she loves that one). Cadoo is a fun cranium game that involves charades and other stuff. There are also active games like twister and hyperdash and things like that if you are up to it.

D
    D
    Apples to Apples: a simple, yet clever word association game.

At first I thought it was a silly game. But DS & DW both enjoyed it and convinced me to give it a go. While it might be better with a couple more people, we make the best of our little nuclear family. In fact, our DD4 acts as the "judge," which in itself leads to humorous results, and gives her an active role.

Monopoly -- the perennial favorite in our family for three generations. DS took to it right away and is able to sit for full-length games.

HOWEVER, there are SOME children in this world who do not appreciate landing on Boardwalk+Hotel -- AT ALL. He stormed off to his room while the banker mortgaged all his property in an effort to pay the rent. He was still short by a bunch. Sadly, and despite his pleas for mercy, he was forced into Bankruptcy @ the tender age of 7.

That extended drama caused the game to be "shelved" for a couple months.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    We like Settlers of Catan.
    We also like 'apples to apples' but can't make it work with just the three of us. Maybe an online version?

In our extended family we have a Monopoly custom. When one player become bankrupt, another player will offer to 'combine' with them and have them on their 'team.' It is particularly easy for the one who is owed the money. Often the younger one will lose interest and wander off, but without the tantrum. Later I hear the one who was 'bought out' asking, 'Did WE win?'

smiles,
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    thankyou, I'll look into these

M
    M
    DS8 & DD6 both like Apples to Apples, Scrabble (and Upwards), and Blurt (although you need clear rules; sometimes we don't allow "blurting" but will allow the person who's turn it is to take a guess first). They also like WhoNu (sp?).

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM