Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    I am interested in the LAW too, but was unable to log in. How is it?

A
    A
    We are also doing LAW2. There is no problem with highlighting, but the lectures do repeat themselves at least thrice each. And the fonts are tiny and thin. Can the fonts be enlarged or changed to bold-face?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I haven't had my DD work on the LAW yet so I don't have first hand knowledge with the program in that sense. I did look back and would you be referring to the review settings? The program is set to review for the first 0-15 minutes of a log in. Right now I believe all students are set for some review. This can be changed individually. If it isn't review and the lecture is just repeating itself over and over then I will need to look into it with EPGY. I have a call in regarding some problems with it right now so just get back to me asap if this is another that needs to be addressed.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    OK - yes, I think the problem might be with the "review" settings. I think some review is good - but there really is too much of it - especially since the "lecture" part of the review is *exactly* the same each time. I keep hearing a frustrated voice from the other room "maaaa, I already did this!!"

I also had difficulty with the size of the font initially. My dd said that the teacher needed to write bigger : ) At first I would change the "accessibility settings" on my computer to try to make the font larger (making the window larger does not seem to help with the font size). Changing the computer settings helped, but made the page more difficult to navigate. It seems as though my daughter has gotten used to the smaller type now.

It is interesting to hear that others have not had the same problems with the highlighting. Sometimes when my daughter clicks on words they highlight so that she can see what she has selected - other times she clicks on an answer and it does not highlight, so she keeps clicking and clicking... she also seems to need to hit "OK" and then "done" and then "done" a second time after each answer. (I'm done - I'm really really done : ) (and just as an aside, shouldn't it be "finished" instead of "done"? - this is a language arts course after all).

These are all minor things... We really do like the program. The two parts I like the best are: a) it has taught my daughter to carefully read directions - "click on all of the proper nouns" -"Mom, I clicked on the proper noun and it says try again" --- read the instructions again honey ; ) b) the paragraphs they choose are interesting - and she is learning a lot just from those - she has learned what a "toast" is, about "Kimchi (I am spelling that wrong) and about slavery (that was a rather involved discussion). So in all, thumbs up.

M
    M
    I would like to enroll our daughters. Our oldest took a course last year but it became to expensive. How would I enroll under your school?

D
    D
    Is there any way to get a live preview or trial like ALEKS offers? That would be extremely helpful.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    A
    A
    The paragraphs chosen in LAW2 are indeed educational by themselves. One particular strength of the EPGY courses, whether they were Math or English, is apparently the breadth of materials presented. It would be a lot of work trying to assemble on our own, contents that are as rich from other sources.

As a science person myself, I wouldn't pay much attention on the subtleties between "Done" and "Finished". :-) Most likely the EPGY programs are written by CS persons, who may also name the buttons, such as choosing "Done". But yes, why is it necessary to click the sequence of "OK-Done-Done", instead of just one click?

Question for Melissa ----- Are the "reinforcement" mode in Math and the "review" mode in English, adjustable in multiple steps or only in terms of On/ Off? Thanks.

Q
    Q
    fyi - if you don't want to listen to the lecture again, just x it out and the next problems will come up. And,if you need to listen to the lecture again, click on the icon in the lower right corner of the screen - I think it's the one that looks like a cartoon bubble.

Also, we had trouble with moving the letters to the tiny little blue square, until DS realized that as long as you move them into the exercise box, they will appear in that order in the little blue square. They definitely need an upgrade for the format, which they seem to be doing little by little.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    OK guys here goes...

LAW: Right now every child is set with 6 review exercises as the default on the program. This can be changed, personal choice. The options are 1-15 exercises. I went back and checked that specifically, not minutes, exercises.

The instructional mode can only be changed in math and is one or the other. Reinforcement is the standard for the stand alone program, the other options is for less instruction such as when using the program as a supplement for topics already taught or someone who needs little or no instruction in math. This can be changed say to the advanced setting when reviewing to grade level for the student and then set to reinforcement once the child reaches new material. Parental choice at this point, just email me with change requests. (Please include the child's name, I'm having to email back a number of parents with different last names.)

I am wondering if you need to click multiple times to submit and answer because students have gotten used to the second chance option on the math side? Again, I haven't been in this side of the program so I'm guessing here. I need to try and do that just to control my curiosity at this point.

There is no trial available. Demo lessons and exercises are available from the main EPGY website.

Hope that helps a little.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Melissa,

I just sent you a PM asking if it's still possible to join. Thanks for putting this together!

BB

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM