Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    my 2e DS7 hates math compuation and has been putting up a fight all summer when i try to review his math facts (hard for him) .. we started doing online math with EPGY in hopes it would help and he balked immediately. Then I decided to go out and buy a big exercise ball for him to sit on- something i read about somewhere a while back. I wanted to tell everyone out there it worked like a miracle. He is now requesting to do math 2-3 times per day. After every correct answer he gets so excited he just naturally bounces up and down!
    smile It gives me so much hope for the new school year that he will just bounce thru it without all the screaming and fighting over the dreaded math homework.
    irene

T
    T
    Wow renie that sounds fantastic. I just love out of the box solutions. Well done!

Do you think it will work for writing:)

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    i am wondering the same thing myself (about writing) ... will have to experiment a bit to see if its possible to bounce and write at the same time! maybe bouncing breaks?
    irene

H
    H
    Awesome Irene!
    I bought one a while back but it is still in the box. Will it work there too? LOL J/K But I am going to pull it out tomorrow and please tell me if it works with writing/reading.... Thanks for the tip.

O
    O
    We have a little inside trampoline. That might be a good place for math or spelling drills at home. My son usally does laps around the kitchen island during drills which made me dizzy. thanks for the inspiration.

(some of them are very expensive. We got one from toys r us $35.00 and it hold up to 200 lbs.) It also give my son a inside place to jump instead of the sofa.

B
    B
    My DS6 LOVES his ball - we got one about a year ago and loves watching tv or even doing computer sitting it. We also have a mini trampoline that we got from sports authority on sale after the holidays that we pull in and out of the garage - the favorite though is his scooter (which yes, we allow in the house since it is mostly tile flooring)....he loves to zoom around the open kitchen area/island while I throw out math facts for him to complete at the "toll" stops :-)

L
    L
    My son liked to bounce on his exercise ball while doing mental math and practicing for a spelling bee a few years ago. He also liked doing math and spelling while jumping on a trampoline but there were too many days when it was too hot or too cold outside to use it. The exercise ball just seems like another part of our living room furniture now.

Cool idea. We have done other full body things with ds when studying, such as charades for spelling words (ok, we only worked on meaning, not spelling, but he learned the spelling too, incidentally). He LOVES charades.

T
    T
    In case anyone is interested in bringing this idea into their school, here are several articles that might be helpful in educating a school that is not yet familiar with this idea. I would add that although these articles are about entire classroom seating, there are also schools who have 2-3 per classroom as a seating option. It doesn't need to be "all or nothing" smile

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/e...-balls-replace-chairs-in-some-classrooms

http://wcco.com/education/stability.ball.classroom.2.991306.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-03-07-class-chairs_N.htm

http://www.wittfitt.com/kansascitystar2009.pdf

http://host.madison.com/news/local/article_0b81cae3-b10f-50fc-8c16-2b652fd978a7.html

B
    B
    I LOVED the article I read awhile back about the "motion" standing desks that many districts are using...of course not ours...but it is a desk that allows the students to stand to do their work if they feel like it and then if they want to sit, it comes with a stool and attached to the desk is a swing arm so that their feet can swing at the desk while they work. My DS6 would LOVE this idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/us/25desks.html?_r=2&th&emc=th

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs