Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I plan to get my three-year-old grandson tested. I would love a few recommendations for Atlanta area Clinical Psychologists with an expertise in gifted children? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

He has an extensive vocabulary, higher order thinking skills, uses deep thinking to resolve conflict, is in touch with his intuitive skills and has an incredible memory. On top of that he is empathetic and aware of many aspects of "living" that we did not teach him.

I realize most people believe their children gifted (and they are) but I think his abilities are beyond the norm and would like to guide him in his education endeavors.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, no recommendations for the Atlanta area, but wanted to say 'Welcome!'

Have you checked the hoagies site? There is a list there, and another post here, too:

Top Testers for Highly Gifted here, too.

Last edited by chris1234; 08/22/09 02:28 PM.
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Dear Chris,

Thank you so much. Didn't know about Hoagies nor the other posts. With warmest friendship, Evelyn

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you so much Dottie. Hmmm how much does the tests usually cost? I wanted to get him tested for my own piece of mine I think. I visited the Hoagies site, it is great... I hadn't run across it. I have just made a decision today to pursue this. I appreciate the welcome from you and Chris 1234. I feel welcome for sure.
    Warmest friendship,
    Evelyn

I think the cost might tend to be higher than $500 in the Atlanta area. It is really just a guess, but it seems like urban areas tend to have slightly higher prices.

Some of it depends on how long your child takes to test, too. Longer times = more money.

I agree that $1800 for just an I.Q. test is highway robbery! No matter where one lives or how long the testing takes!

Kriston
    Hi EvelynC547 - Welcome!
    A low cost option is this book: http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_ruf_ar.php
    Now Available! Losing Our Minds: Gifted Children Left Behind. Deborah's new book, published by Great Potential Press, combines four years of data gathering from 50 families with nearly 30 years of research and experience in the field of giftedness, individual differences, and high intelligence. The book is aimed primarily at parents and vividly describes the upper 10 to 15 percent of the intellectual continuum in human beings from birth to adulthood as manifested in their behaviors, thoughts, accomplishments, and test scores. She introduces the concept of Levels of Giftedness and makes it very clear how many factors contribute to a person's intellectual levels and achievement. Buy Now or order from Great Potential Press.

Like any other test, it can't tell you that your child isn't gifted, but if your kid fits her numbers, it can confirm that he is. The stories of gifted children are also lovely to give you a warm fuzzy that you aren't alone.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    I can recommend Dr. Spomenka Newman, who is on the Hoagies list. She tested my DD10 and has been amazing to work with. You can tell that she loves working with gifted kids. She's in Lawrenceville. Good luck!

J
    J
    I second ch64's suggestion. Dr. Newman hasn't tested our DS5.5 (due to distance really) yet, but she was extremely approachable and gave me some good advice!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM