Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #52886 08/18/09 12:34 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Here's a great toy that kids can use creative brain power. I love that. Flick Trix BMX finger bikes. Check them out on You tube. Very fun.

Anybody have some ideas for toys and activities for 9 years old boys and up? My DS9 has been doing Lego since preschool. He is ready for new things.

Though pricey, ds9's 'nintendo dsi' has been a huge hit, can't think of other things right now...

G
    G
    How about Chico Bicalho windups - they aren't really building toys, they are windup toys created with coils, but we were recently introduced to them and my sons (7th grade, 2nd grade, kindergarten) love them.

Also my sons really loved the marble maze toys, where you make a variety of marble run structures on the fridge or the dryer.

LEGO Mindstorms Robotics?

B
    B
    Erector set and snap circuits are the first things that oome to mind. I have also seen more advanced building sets in catalogs, but if I remember correctly they're quite expensive.

M
    M
    It's a great book--Jack McKee's "Woodshop for Kids" ( www.woodshop4kids.com ). There are also books for slightly older kids by Jerome Leavitt (Easy Carpentry Projects for Children) and Lester Walker (Carpentry for Children, and Housebuilding for Children) that I am holding off on for right now, 'til their skills improve (and my book-shopping bill abates somewhat!) Lee Valley Tools also has the "Boy Mechanic" series from Popular Mechanics in a nice reprint edition.

We've had their woodshop (the Cavalier Woodshop, no Roundheads or Power Tools allowed!) up and running for about a week or so now, and they are building all sorts of things--planes, a dollhouse, boats, a stool, keyrings, pencil holders, "sculpture"--it has really been fun to watch them at work. What really pleases me is that Groucho in particular has been thrilled to be making stuff--he's the one of mine who sometimes needs a little extra TLC, so it is especially nice to see him so happy and excited with their woodshop!

peace
    minnie

Last edited by minniemarx; 08/19/09 11:44 AM. Reason: fixed titles
    M
    M
    Another idea is maybe leatherwork? I remember loving this when I was about that age--and actually, my boys have enjoyed the little bit they've done so far, too--they've all made themselves little change purses so they don't have to carry their piggy banks to the bookstore any more!

Tandy has an online catalogue, or some storefronts, too, depending where you live.

Or art supplies? Copper tooling? Knot-tying? Decorative wood-burning (whatever that's actually called!)? Pottery? Weaving? Model-making? When I was 9, I was all about making stuff, rather than playing with stuff--I know all kids are different, but I think there's something satisfying about feeling like you're producing something useful and beautiful, and at that age, he'll be able to do it mostly on his own, which is an even better feeling.

peace
    minnie

O
    OP Offline
    O
    thank you all for suggestions. If anybody has more I'd welcome them.

My DS loves the Flick Trix bikes and has for several years. If your DS likes those he might also like the finger skateboards. We have tons of those things. They can be taken apart and changed and played with on ramps and other things.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    thanks my son loves the skateboards too. Check out flick trix web site and you tube.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations