Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thought this was a lovely letter a mother wrote to her 18 year old daughter (with many gifted traits). This part hit a nerve!

I have spent the last 18 years being awestruck by the wonder that is you, someone I made in my spare time, and trying desperately to deal best with your epic personality and qualities. Tenacity. Intelligence. Constructive discontent. Persistence. Sensitivity. A fantastic sense of humour. Independence. Mercy. Fearlessness. Kindness. Equity.

Now, these qualities are terrible qualities in a child. North America wants children (especially little girls) to be polite. Obedient. Pliable. Kids who fight back and say no and think for themselves are hard to raise and not thought well of at all. We all talk about how "good" an obedient child is, and It struck me at some point while I was raising you, that I couldn't have a child who did as they were told really well, and then suddenly expect you to turn into an adult who was assertive, independent and free thinking. I realized you couldn't tell a kid "do what I tell you" and then turn around when they became a grown-up and suddenly say "think for yourself". (Well. You can, but I don't think it makes the best adults.)

In short, I realized that people are adults for a lot longer than they are kids, and that it makes more sense to cultivate wonderful adult skills than those traits that make kids easy to take care of. (Mostly I realized this, my child, because you wouldn't do otherwise.)

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/05/30/dear_amanda.html

Yes my friend and I have had this discussion many times. So true!

S
    S
    hmmm...interesting. I agree but don't. I think that it is important to encourage those traits in certain situations while still having rules and limits in place. You don't want to give up on parenting and setting limits...doing that often creates a child that doesn't understand any limits and has no accountability for their actions. It is difficult with children that are gifted and are able to reason so well and can act very adult like, we still have to remember that they aren't adults yet. Just because my DS5 is able to reason as a 30yo does, doesn't make him a 30yo in other aspects, kwim? Anyhow, those are just my thoughts for what it's worth.

For me the idea of limit setting is teaching my children to set internal limits. If a child behaves in a certain matter in order to avoid a punishment or obtain a material reward than how can we be certain of her behavior when punishment and reward are removed. The limit setting needs to come from their own conscience and it is this that I try to develop. This involves much more time and effort and the results are slower to come but in the long run I believe it is the process whereby children can become positive constructive members of society who ALSO think for themselves. That being said...boy do I have a lot of work to do! LOL

S
    S
    Hi

I think I'm with both Shellymos and Breakaway4 on this - not that I'm sitting on the fence but more that we've done both. When we were dealing with the 3 year old tantrum throwing terrorist we got advice from the psych and went down the setting boundaries, saying no and meaning it, reducing choices and using routines, rewards and heaps of positive praise and encouragement. He certainly improved when we made it clear the grown ups were in charge not him and stopped the tantrums when we limited his choices or in some situations removed them altogether. 3 years later and we are at the stage where he is self motivated and able to make the right choices for the right reasons. I can't remember the last time he needed 'punishment' and although he still gets lots of praise I was just thinking today its time he had a treat as all this week, even though he's been off colour with a bad asthma episode he has got himself up, dressed, breakfast, teeth, hair, school bag done - all before we have even got out of bed. Now me, I think for a boy who isn't even 7 yet this is pretty awesome behaviour! So right now of course I'm feeling a bit smug lol smile but prepared for the bubble to burst. So imho I'm thinking the hard yards in the early stages have set the foundations for him to now make all the smart choices. S.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations