Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 128 guests, and 72 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    He has an individual Accommodation Plan. I'm thinking this is the same thing. When they offered this plan they said it was flexible. I think the teacher wants to make sure he is ready for the following grade. I have to find ways to overcome her concerns.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/12/09 09:58 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My DS broad score on WJIII was 145 Math. My DS in 3rd Grade, wrote on a school project what he would like to learn this year was decimals and square roots. What do you think if I tell him he could do Alex and the he can keep progressing until he gets to this. Do you think that is very far off? He is doing 3 & 4 grade math this year. Do you think that will just make his future math classes more boring? Should I just keep with the Mindware math books and the math olypiad questions.

M
    M
    I guess you need to decide how you are going to approach this. Yes, if you let him continue to move on he will have that much more trouble with classes if something isn't done for the future. At the same time if something isn't done you have a child who is underchallenged, bored, and who knows what else? I also can't see how a child would progress socially if they are doing all their own independent work rather than whatever the class is doing. This is where we are running into trouble again to a certain extent with my DD9. She is now catching up and surpassing her classmates in Language Arts, so we are considering again what to do for next year. We held her to fifth in ELA as the plan for this year because of the socialization. But that will definately change again for next year. So we will have to see what the school plans to offer. I know it's neither here nor there but my DD's scores aren't that different than your son's, so the potential is definately there. wink

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/12/09 02:53 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I see my DS9 as young for his age and needs to stay with his peers for the most of the day. I think he should do an online course for math and/or science and test early or test out of some of the other work that he doesn't need so many repetitions. maturity would be an issue for managing the online course but not so much the work. He has so many interests that if he gets out of something that should free him up to do something more meaningful like learn an instrument or an independent study. I am not against him moving up for some classes but this is probably a scheduling issue. I am concerned that some of the classes he would move up for it still would not be enough it would be too slow. There is also concern about being prepared for older grade expectations.

I'm thinking this school is just not going to see the light so easily. I'm trying to think baby steps. My son does better with a little change at a time too.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/13/09 07:45 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Another thought...I was thinking really a wonderful way of handling his education would be to have him home schooled part of the day and go to school for his specials. That way he could keep his local friends. This might make him feel a little on the outside not being there all day. I think it would be great if his homeschooling would use online classes so he could interact with kids of his ability. This sounds so "out there thinking". I can't even imagine suggesting this to his parochial school. I really can't afford to do this. I could imagine this working out with a teacher to get him started and teach him to be more self reliant. The teacher would needed to be less involved as he matures. If I was able to get back to work and do work at home and make enough money... OK, wake up it's only a dream.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Please be patient with this question. ... My idea for the testing is so they would better know what to do with him.

It's totally reasonable for you to have had this expectation. Schools are supposed to know a lot about how to teach children. Your son is a child. Schools are supposed to know a lot about how to teach your son. It is ok to be dissapointed when look at the scores and say that they actually don't know what to do. This is a big step - the first step to solving a problem is recognizing it.

Is there a regional or state level that provides help in 'unusual' cases like your son? Our state has a professional at the state level who can help IF the local school requests it.

I then need a solution that is not time consuming for her.

This is why moving your child to a different classroom for some or part of the day is a popular alternative. At least ask, NOW, if they will consider this for Science and Math. If they say no, you are a step closer to a yes for next year.

I would be open to him going up a grade or two for a class but I bet it's a scheduling issue and I think that situation would work better as a plan for next year.

I want to gently ask you why you are anticipating a problem that hasn't occured yet. Don't think - just ask. Believe me, if you were being pushy, you'd ask for all the gifted kids in the building to be placed together, one room school house style, and taught at their own level. You aren't being pushy.

He is doing spelling city.com for his spelling words at home. This makes his spelling studying meaningful with typing 15 words. He has not been motivated very much with the typing other than this.

He knows Spelling words the first day. I tell him not to study after the first day, just review the night before the test. I don't want him to do above level spelling or vocabulary. He already is getting challenged with vocabulary with his reading.

This sounds reasonable.
    He has said if he says certain things to his peers they don't get it so he's adjusting his conversation vocabulary. I just don't want to push this right now.

Not so reasonable - developing flexible conversation skills isn't a reason to stop teaching him. Perhaps you can design a vocab curriculum that links words with similar meaning together and he can practice using words flexibly?
    I want to make more progress and need a plan.

Have you read any books about compacting and differentiating, such as http://www.susanwinebrenner.com/handouts.html
    Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom:
    Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use to Meet the Academic Needs of the Gifted and Talented (Revised, Expanded, Updated)

by Susan Winebrenner
    Published by Free Spirit Publishing
    $ 40

The definitive guide to meeting the learning needs of gifted students in the mixed-ability classroom without losing control, causing resentment, or spending hours preparing extra materials. Each chapter presents a specific strategy, from compacting the curriculum to creating challenging tasks from regular content. Step-by-step instructions explain how to implement the strategy; scenarios illustrate the strategy in action. Includes CD ROM. All grades.

A multimedia package is available for this book that provides a year long site based professional development program for your staff. Each package contains a video disc that demonstrates the strategies in the books in actual classrooms. A Discussion Leader's Guide, written by Susan Winebrenner, is also provided.

This might be a good way to give you an idea of how much is involved with compacting - it's pretty complicated and a lot of work for the teacher. More than extra work, it's extra responsibility. Most teachrs aren't ready to say: This is what I hope to teach this year. This is what a child in my classroom really needs to learn. This material here will provide a firm foundation for the future.

Of course a teacher thinks that everything that they do in a classroom is important! And most of the time, they are correct.

The achievement test is good to support the IQ numbers - to show that they aren't some weird 'out of the blue' statement. They are good to show the school that they are dealing with a 'rare bird.'

Seriously, you have made lots of good progress. You are giving above age math. I would not buy the teacher's position that learning to pretend to listen to the teacher while she talks by eye-tracking and learning sympathy for other ND agemates are worth goals for a 3rd grader. All 3rd graders deserve to learn academics in school, along with 'protocol' types of skills. Knocking the corners off your little square peg so that he can fit in the 3rd grade round whole isn't going to fix the basic fact that the 3rd grade hole isn't the hole that will nurture him. In know of lots of GT boys who don't look like they are listening while they are listening more intensely than any child around them. I know lots of GT boys who didn't develp empathy for their agemates - only resentment!

Baby Steps:
    1) Ask for subject acceleration in Science to another classroom.
    2) Look around for better Folder work, and make sure your worksheets get put into his Folder.
    3) Check your state's Dept of Education website and see if there is a person to send an email to at the state level, asking how your school can request their expertise.

I'm hoping that patienice is leaking through every word of this post. You are in an unfair position, and it isn't your fault. Unfortunately, since you are the only one who can see the problem, it's on your shoulders to keep asking and asking and asking for what you need until something shakes free.

My nickname as a kid was Casssandra. Well, one of my nicknames. My dad in particular also called me 'PIA' and 'his princess.' I think they all fit pretty well.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Oh! I missed this page!
    Lovely idea - he could go academically at the rate he needs to go.

Another thought...I was thinking really a wonderful way of handling his education would be to have him home schooled part of the day and go to school for his specials. That way he could keep his local friends.

Perhaps your school could give you a tuition break if you only send him for part of the day?
    I don't think that you are going to need a teacher to get your son doing online classes. Try Aleks and see. If he can do Aleks at all independently, then he will do great with k-12, which is much more kid-user friendly. I'm not sure when the square roots are going, but it is the quickest way to get him there.

You could also hire distance tutors to work with him, such as www.growingstars.com

there are really many choices. The more steps you take, the more you will know about what to try next.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

M
    M
    [quote=onthegomom]Another thought...I was thinking really a wonderful way of handling his education would be to have him home schooled part of the day and go to school for his specials. [quote]

This is what my DD9 does, with a little more. She attends the PS for English Language Arts, music, and art. She homeschools her remaining subjects. smile

It has worked really well overall for us. I'm not sure she will attend for ELA again next year since she is now on grade level for 5th grade in her writing, the only reason she was taking it at the PS. But she might want to take an elective since she will be at the middle school. <<cringe>>

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/13/09 11:31 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    thanks Grinity!

is your name about grinning/smiling? I was just curious. I hope you don't mind the question. I like it.

You have given me some good stuff to look into. Do state services work for a Parochial Private school? We have some gifted laws in our state.

I have wanting My DS to try Alex. We just have not been able to fit it in. I'm going to approach my DS about it. Maybe he has an idea. I'm thinking this is a place I really should start. The online course this summer was a different ballgame this would be easier to manage.

I did talk to some people at one time about the K-12 program. That's free online ed with a teacher in our state! That's amazing for the right kid but I want my kid to go to school for the social. Always trade offs. If their is dual enrollment I would have to pay. I might need to take another look at that.

I did get Susan Winebrenner's book from the library and felt very overwhelmed. That all felt like to big of a job although I do like some of the ideas.

I wish I could find more peace with this. I need to chill out. I gonna ask my DD6 to teach me some more yoga. She learned in K. She is actually a good teacher and takes it seriously. I'm thinking she is gifted too.

I did get Susan Winebrenner's book from the library and felt very overwhelmed. That all felt like to big of a job although I do like some of the ideas.
    The ideas are very appealing - but really, that feeling you have of being overwhelmed should help you understand why so many kids have been grade or subject accelerated. It's really hard to do as she says without institution wide support. Yes the ideas are appealing - but no you shouldn't ask the teacher to do this for your kid!

The Yoga sounds like a great idea. Also, plain old 'deep breathing' has been helping me a lot lately.

Ask for the subject accelerations! Call and set up a meeting today. Really.

Grinity (yes - you guessed it: I do smile and grin alot!)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs