Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #52929 08/18/09 09:58 PM
    F
    fmrmr Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    My son is taking the cogat this week and today they did three sections. He came home telling me that on one section he messed up filling in his answer blanks and didn't discover it until he was finished and had no time to correct it (he had a few extra questions and no blanks left). I'm guessing most of his answers were off. He didn't say anything to the teacher.

Grrr... It really doesn't matter and there's no going back. I was really interested in how he scored though, and I hate for that to be in his school record. His point to me was that it was his own error that caused the problem- he felt like he did really well until he recognized the problem. Anyone been there/done that?

Last edited by fmrmr; 08/18/09 09:59 PM.
    fmrmr #52930 08/19/09 03:16 AM
    Yes, sort of, ds9 took the cogat last year as part of the group of kids who already tested pretty high on other things, to see about getting into the county gifted program.
    He said there were a couple sections he liked, but one he got 'really confused' on. I am assuming it was the quantitative section because that is the one which came in around 35% (!)- iirc.
    There isn't really any redo other than some additional testing, but maybe this won't happen at all to your ds. (Additional testing can be done on your own, or if the school will take the request, they might have other testing they can do).
    The other thing my ds does is get stressed about stuff he thinks might maybe have happened...but often turns out not to have happened! So, I didn't know whether to worry. Having extra questions at the end doesn't sound promising... frown

Anyway, we had some additional testing done for a variety of reasons and everything worked out well.

I'm a little surprised they had him do 3 sections in 1 day. I think there are only 3 sections (?) Maybe it was 3 sub tests. Ds had verbal on one day, quantitative on another, etc.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years