Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Gifted child & Not gifted mom. This is scarey sometimes. My children are very bright. They have read more books than I have in my life time. When they are so far beyond me I wonder how it will be. anybody out there feel like this?

F
    F
    Me too darlin.
    My DD is only 7 and will already correct my spelling and grammar. blush
    I am glad though, that my kids have the potential to surpass me.

I do often wonder how genetics worked in our situation. I assume my husband and I fall in the above average group, so could it still be genetics? We didn't listen to classical music, have baby smart videos, or do any formal learning before school, so it could not be environment. Heck we did not even know she could read until her K teacher told us.
    But the MG/HG had to come from somewhere and there is no denying it anymore.

This thought posses a question.
    Do you think it possible to raise your Childs IQ if encouraged during the early years, or do you think that stuff was pushed as way to make money?
    How much of a role does environment play in forming a Childs innate abilities?

O
    oli Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Floridama
    My DD is only 7 and will already correct my spelling and grammar. blush I am glad though, that my kids have the potential to surpass me.

I do often wonder how genetics worked in our situation. I assume my husband and I fall in the above average group, so could it still be genetics? We didn't listen to classical music, have baby smart videos, or do any formal learning before school, so it could not be environment. Heck we did not even know she could read until her K teacher told us.
    But the MG/HG had to come from somewhere and there is no denying it anymore.

This thought posses a question.
    Do you think it possible to raise your Childs IQ if encouraged during the early years, or do you think that stuff was pushed as way to make money?
    How much of a role does environment play in forming a Childs innate abilities?

Hard questions. I'm not sure if we are gifted, we are both very happy how we have done intellectually and most of the colleagues have high IQs (we were never tested). I'm actually afraid DD being more gifted than we are, as I know how it was not easy for us although we managed to survive in normal environment. If she is more gifted than us, might indicate her having even more difficulties and maybe she won't survive the "world of normal people". DD is more advanced than we were at 2 and both of us come from academic environments. My family has more mathematical talents mixed with some learning disabilities, DH family has great writing talents and were struggling with math. For now DD seems to have got the best of both sides and maybe that is why she seems smarter than her parents as she does not have our weaknesses.

J
    J
    I was labeled as gifted, and I still have these same concerns. I imagine all parents are worried what to do when their children come home asking them how to tackle this math equation or that vocabulary lesson, etc, especially if it is a parent's weakness as oli stated.

C
    C
    Along these lines, my husband and I have been getting a fairly awkward question lately from people who are certainly speaking before thinking...

"So which one of you did he get the intelligence from?"

How does one even begin to answer that question?

My husband's reply (I was not around) was "Well, both of us can string a pretty decent sentence together if we try real hard."

That made me laugh.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by CatherineD
    "So which one of you did he get the intelligence from?"

How does one even begin to answer that question?

We always say something like, "Clearly, giftedness is a double-recessive trait." To which our son will invariably add, "Clearly!"

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    S
    S
    You are not alone...here is a thread I posted a while back about this....

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/36251/1.html

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years