Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Ok, so I have read how important it is to understand the level of giftedness in order to provide the best learning environment etc for our young'uns however I am somewhat confused about the GAI.

I understand that FSIQ of 145+ falls into the HG category, but how does this relate to the GAI? In a young child does a GAI 145+ push them into HG category even if the FSIQ falls into the MG category? Especially if all but the Processing speed fall into the 99+%ile?

Why is there a GAI? I notice the Davidson Institute don't accept GAI so who does? I appreciate the motivation in having it but what does it exactly mean in practical terms?

All help appreciated, thanks

Tory - I've gone round and round with this question and it's here and there in several threads. In a recent online discussion through U. of Ca Irvine with a psych who specializes in gifted kids, he used FS or GAI in his chart if I remember correctly. Can anyone remember that more specifically?

From my limited understanding (and I'm sure Dottie will weigh in on this) GAI was created b/c when the WISCIV was created, they increased the weight of PSI and WMI from 10% each (combined 20% of the total) to 20% each (combined 40% of the total). They subsquently found that kids who tested gifted on WISCIII, were scoring in above avg range due to avg-above avg WMI/PSI. So to correct for this, they chose to create the GAI index which removes those subtests. People will argue that WMI/PSI affects a student in the classroom and how they learn and should not be discounted. From reading at one of the other gifted resources which put out a mandate to schools stated that the GAI should be considered when looking at acceptance into gifted programs. However, when looking at acceleration and such, I think all indexes need to be taken into account.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/18/09 02:50 AM. Reason: To amend sentence by adding "not"
    I believe the Davidson Institute will also look at VCI and PRI separately.

I think the GAI can also be used to compare achievement with ability when learning disabilities are suspected.

C
    C
    I have always used this chart to determine levels:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

Because tests also give varying levels, it's hard to compare one to the other. The SB-V doesn't have extended scoring (as far as I know) but you can use extended scoring on the WISC-IV so you can end up with a much higher score.

Our public school only uses the CoGAT. They agreed to accept our SB-V test only after I supplied them with research that it is a "more valid" test.

T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I'm please I'm not the only one (and oops sorry, I should have searched first.)
    Dazed and Confused - thanks for the explanation

Eema, I'm with you. The other thing I find confusing is that Hoagies lists HG as 138 - 145 on the WISC IV yet Deborah Klein's book talks about HG as 145+

Thanks CAMom - extended scoring is not something I've ever really been able to get my mind around either - my boy apparently hit the ceiling on 3 of his sub-tests (18/18/19 but I would've thought the tester, who was experienced with G&T kids would have suggested applying the extended scoring if she felt it was warranted. (I also realise that there are 'certain' subtests you need to ceiling on for it too be applied.)

I'm interested to know because my boy is classically underachieving and is going through a distinctly 'ungifted' phase. He is 7 and has been through a lot this year, both at school and personally and I am just trying to find the right way to re-motivate him without applying pressure (which he hates) and at the same time know what I am dealing with.

Thanks again

T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks Dottie - much clearer:)

Of course now I do have other questions.

So does the WIAT II qualify as an achievement test? Is it an effective measure?

T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Click!!

Thanks Dottie - I've never felt so dumb trying to process this stuff.

F
    F
    Ok, so I have read how important it is to understand the level of giftedness in order to provide the best learning environment

I tend to think that your child's personality is the biggest factor in determining his/her learning environment.
    It is also difficult to truly asses your child's abilities & needs based on a single test.
    And the more test you look into the more confusing it gets.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent