Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #51052 07/21/09 01:08 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi- I'm new here and looking for any comraderie- I have a 23 mo son who is most likely gifted, and seems much more active than most toddlers. He's always seemed different, more busy, more alert, just more...He walked at 8 mos, ran well at 10 mos, and is constantly startling me with his physical and mental prowess...
    Anyone out there who has this particular joy and challenge of a very very active spirited bright child? Any tips? Do they settle down a bit for schooling? I have no idea if he'll wind up being diagnosed with ADD or if he's just bright with OEs? He can follow 2 step commands well, has excellent memory, and seems to be able to attend- just looks like his processing speed is so incredibly rapid at times...Hard to describe..

D
    D
    My son stared walking at 8 mos and never looked back. Enjoy running after him! Just try to make sure he has teachers who also enjoy him - if not, switch teachers( I did, twice). I was counseled to "always stay close enough to him that if he finds a rock pile, I can physically stop him from throwing the rocks". I may be worn out, but he's not, starting junior year at MIT and enjoying a paying internship this summer as an architectural engineer( whatever that is). There is light at the end of the tunnel. My son never cared much to take the time to share with his teachers what he learned from them, it took too much time away from things he wanted to do. So his grades were always rocky, but achievement test scores stellar. Pick your battles, respect his spirit, stand up for him! Enjoy!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Wow- thanks for sharing your stories! It helps to know that others have made it through the toddler phase with a very active child. And that your children are doing well!
    I've learned to accept/embrace my son's activity level, spirited nature, and giftedness. There are days when I feel so worn out, and I look at other kids that sit so nice and quietly with awe. Nick is very bright, and happy, but oh, so persistent!

kcab- I am seeing glimpses of the invincible kid tendency already- DS2 went down the slide at the park this winter, face first right into the snow- he was 17 mos at the time, and doggedly got right back up and hollered at the slide and said, "AGAIN, Mama!" Bleeding lip and all.
    He has taken to directing the MDs when we go in for a visit. This past time he asked them to use their "otoscope, check ears!". He just doesn't act like a toddler, more like a little man- very social and already seems to prefer older kids/adults.

Debbie V- I will keep that in mind with teachers- I'm already thinking about what we'll need to do for his schooling- I'm hoping the principal will be open to helping find the right teacher with the skills to work with a very active gifted boy. He is directable most times and does best if he has a "job" to do.

I'm watching his imaginative play blossom, but he's an extravert and definitely prefers me/someone to play with him. Not really one of the kids that does a lot of independent play and I'm beat!

Thanks for listening, and I'd welcome any other stories as well!

W
    W
    LOL!!! Yah, active bright boys... I have an almost 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 year old. The good news is that the older one will happily sit still to read, do workbooks or play video games, but that's it (even eating he still finds ways to move around). Both were walking/running by around 10 months.

The little one was climbing the rock wall at the park at 18 m and pretty much ever other climbable part of the structures by 2 yr. He has also just grown out of a phase where he liked running into traffic and NO I'm not kidding... I broke down and used a leash. It was that or let him dislocate his arm by yanking it out of my grasp and embarrassing as it is I'd rather have a kid on a leash than a squished kid...

It can be exhausting, but I have to admit that it's more fun to be chasing them than just sitting around.

M
    M
    Well, you could always do what we did and have a few more...and then they can poop each other out! grin

I know what you mean about looking at other kids and marvelling at their ability to sit nicely and quietly...my nieces are the same ages as my older two...and I remember watching them in wonderment one day, because the two of them sat still as mice FOR AN HOUR, colouring. No wonder my sister's house is cleaner than mine! But actually I wouldn't trade my rowdy rambunctious little rapscallions for anything in the world, mess and noise and general level of energetic chaos notwithstanding, and I'm sure you feel exactly the same.

Try to get some rest when you can, and get lots of protein!

peace
    minnie

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the replies!

I have to say, a bright busy boy with psychomotor OEs on Albuterol treatments is amazing to watch! Goodness- when his asthma acts up I have to peel him off the ceiling! LOL.

Minniemarx! LOL about having another kid to keep Nick company- WHEN? How do people have time for intimacy- LOL- the boy goes to sleep at 9PM and wakes happy at 6AM! "Oh Mamaaaaaaaaaa...POTTY!!!" LOL. You are right, I'd never trade in my crazybusy little man- Life with him is NEVER boring.

Wyldkat- Eeek about the traffic darting! Talk about heartstopping. I don't blame you for leashing your LO for that- funny, but we live so rurally I've had to make special efforts to teach Nick about traffic- we're down a dirt drive 1/2 mile long, and when we go into the nearest city he's got NO street sense- Just now starting to get it! Yet this is the same almost 2 year old that is counting items accurately up to 5, can sight read many words, and understands concepts way beyond his age...funny.

It is exhausting- especially in this new phase of "Do it myself, mama!" I wouldn't trade him in, but I think a spa day would be nice!

O
    oli Offline
    O
    DDs is very active too, so is our schedule. I have no idea how she will turn out when older but she has no problem concentrating when something is interesting.

It is funny how you sometimes read/hear comments how parents should let their kids relax home and not to DEMAND them to be that active?!? If at 9am we are still home DD will start causing trouble and whining to get out, I would be happy to stay inside and relax smile For DD to be happy she needs a lot of physical and mental activities! Every morning she will plan what she would want to do and it will always be something like: first park, then pool, then abc (starfall), then park, then ice-cream, then pool, then toy store and then Mary Poppins (yes, she is obsessed with her).

She also recently fell from a high ladder at the playground, did not cry, just climbed back.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Yes- I know what you mean- spirited and gifted kids seem to be able to let us know what they want from a young age! Nick is SOOO persistent to- just doesn't give up and is determined that he'll get you to do what he wants! LOL- leadership skills in the making? or car salesman?

Our schedule is active, but I've found I need to keep some quiet time in his day. Even if he is really extraverted and busy, I make sure he has a bit of downtime. I do think he has a hard time shutting off his mind for the night and needs a long wind down for bedtime. He didn't sleep through the night till 14 mos. Was a sleepwalker/crawler, and had night terrors from 8-10 mos that disappeared once he could run.

My FIL said to me this weekend, "you know he's quite bright! Just make sure you don't push him too much!"
    I LAUGHED really hard and said, "DO you think I CAN push him to do anything he doesn't want to?" My child had just been directing the whole family in a follow the leader sort of play. Pretending to be airplanes, helicopters, etc. Anyone who stopped, Nick would come over and say, "Grandpa- do it! move like this- airplane!"

LOL at the Mary Poppins obsession. For us, at the moment it is a Japanese animated film, "Kiki's Delivery Service". He loves it- and it IS a nice quiet little story.
    They are so much fun, so much work, joy and heartache all rolled into one-

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM