Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #50826 07/14/09 01:39 PM
    OP Offline
    My soon to be 3 yr old DD is stressing me out. Every time she is put to bed, be it nap or nighttime, we have a ritual of her own doing that must be completed. Even if she is completely asleep, like this afternoon, she will jump into action to insure all tasks are done before I close the door. This has been going on for months now and I really think I have an OCD child.

It started with asking me to move a trashcan out of the middle of the floor (One she had moved early that day.) which I did. Now our ritual includes 'moving' the trashcan even if it is to pick it up and place it back in the same place; opening and closing the drawers; closing the curtains; and moving the ceiling fan blades but not wanting the ceiling fan on. Am I dealing with OCD or is this a quirky habit that she will out grow? The rest of the day she is mellow and easy going about doing what ever.

N
    N
    I think it's pretty normal for preschoolers to need a ritual to help them fall asleep. Although DD never did this, I know plenty of kids who have. And this is an age where rules have special significance. DD has plenty of crazy rules that she demands that I follow at other times throughout the day, and I am not the least bit concerned about OCD or any other MI. Your DD's ritual doesn't seem like it is outside the norm by any means. JMHO. smile

K
    K
    My ds had a bunch of things he wanted us to say when he was little (songs, prayers, counting, etc.). I can't remember how old he was at the time - 3 seems about right -, but I always thought he was trying to keep us in the room longer (he had a hard time getting himself to sleep). Anyway, he no longer does such things, so I don't think it was OCD.

Yup. We had it, too, at about the same age. DS8 had this elaborate series of kisses and hugs that had to be performed in the right order before bed. The ritual got longer and longer before I finally decided that enough was enough and give him a limit on how many ritualized kisses I would allow. (I forget how many, but fewer than he was used to.) That helped. Once in a while I would just interrupt the ritual to hold him in a really good bear hug. That helped, too.

He got bored with it eventually and quit altogether. Every once in a while he pops up with some new ritual, but it doesn't last long and it doesn't interfere with life in any significant way. I just set limits on how much I'm willing to tolerate, and since he seems able to control it, I think it's more of a game than anything.

If your DD doesn't seem desperate about the ritual, like she can't control herself, then I wouldn't be too worried about OCD. The lack of control is when it's troubling, I think. (Though I'm not a psych!)

On the contrary, actually, I suspect she enjoys the fact that she's getting to control you! wink

Kriston
    BTDT when our younger was 3. I had to kiss each of his (many) stuffed animals and cuddle them in a specific corner of DS's bed. He enjoyed that, I made it through wink

LMom
    LMom #50838 07/14/09 06:49 PM
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone. I was really starting to freak out about this obsession and when mentioning her activities to others with kids her age I get a lot of comments basically saying it seems a little strange: what she is obsessed on more so than the fact she is obsessed. And I really try to keep it in check. If I didn't I would be in the room forever! I give in to the things I mentioned except the curtain b/c it is already drawn. But I will say that if I try to not do the requests and walk out of the room; I am met with a major melt down. Also, if I try to limit the requests to just one, the reaction is the same. But I hope that this too will pass and I am sure to be replaced with something else more annoying.

I guess I'd ask if you think the tantrums are because you won't do what she's asking/requiring of you and she's mad at you, or because she's afraid or troubled that something "bad" will happen if you don't do it, or simply because it MUST be done--utterly external to her as far as she's concerned--and she honestly can't conceive of it not being done.

The former is no big deal, I think. The latter two might be more of a problem.

BTW, that she wants *you* to do the actions, and they're not something that *she* does also makes me think it's unrelated to OCD.

One last thought: have you asked her why she wants this stuff done? Sometimes the answer can be telling about what's on her mind and how to approach it.

Kriston
    Major meltdown? That sounds VERY familiar. I remember how careful I used to be to do things in the exact order or we ended up with a big temper tantrum.

I think she just wants to keep you in her room and postpone going to bed.

LMom
    LMom #50842 07/14/09 08:49 PM
    J
    J
    my ds5.5 used to have one from about 9 months to about 4. it's subsided, but dd3.5 has to go through her routine now. it's the same exchange every night. i think it's normal!

J
    J
    oh, and if the tantrum starts because she didn't get to do the routine the same way, we let her continue the tantrum. hers last WAY less than ds5.5 did!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM