Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    emoons Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Our daughter, who turned three a couple of months ago is ignoring our requests to do things or gets really upset when we ask her to go to the bathroom or other small things. She also has a hard time going to sleep at night and usually stays up for a couple of hours. We have tried time out, sticker charts, spanking, talking with her and probably a few other things I am forgetting. She is very strong willed and determined to do things on her own. Any suggestions?

F
    F
    whats her bedtime routine like?? and once asleep how many hours does she typicaly sleep?? does she nap? if so how long?

Last edited by Faithhopelove19; 07/12/09 08:35 PM.
    B
    B
    My Ds does this too. I have read many times that gifted kids need less sleep. I don't sleep much either so I can sympathize with him. He also never wants to go to the bathroom either. What's up with that? LOL

Oh and he hasn't napped since right before he turned two!

Last edited by BigBadWool; 07/13/09 02:31 PM.
    E
    emoons Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Bedtimes vary depending on her. If she falls asleep in the car, she is out for the night, but if we are at home...she stays up whether we are in there or not. She will sleep through the night, or get up and come get in our bed. She naps sometimes, but if she naps at 1 or 2, she is up all night.

F
    F
    My DS,3 back in June, has always been HANDFULL.
    He decided to potty train himself the day after he turned 2 and would not let us help or encourage him at all.
    He still only goes to the bathroom on his schedule. Some tricks that often work are "bet you can't beat me to the potty" & "I wonder if there are any smart, big boys around here who need to go to the bathroom with me" He has never had an accident so I don't push the issue if my tricks don't work.

And for naps & bed time.. We keep to a consistant schedule, he has to stay in bed weather he sleeps or not, & he can have a couple of books with him.
    He usually falls asleep at nap time, I have 3 older kids here who wear him out....
    ~ but at bed time he will lay in there for hours looking at books, singing songs, and of course coming up with ways to trick me into coming back in the room.
    ~I will note that DS goes to bed at the same time we do, which may help a little because he does not feel like he is the only one going to bed.

For encouragement...
    My dad often likes to tell me that "parents stuck with boring well behaved kids will never have any good stories to tell."
    Boy do I have some stories!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM