My DS,3 back in June, has always been HANDFULL.
He decided to potty train himself the day after he turned 2 and would not let us help or encourage him at all.
He still only goes to the bathroom on his schedule. Some tricks that often work are "bet you can't beat me to the potty" & "I wonder if there are any smart, big boys around here who need to go to the bathroom with me" He has never had an accident so I don't push the issue if my tricks don't work.

And for naps & bed time.. We keep to a consistant schedule, he has to stay in bed weather he sleeps or not, & he can have a couple of books with him.
He usually falls asleep at nap time, I have 3 older kids here who wear him out....
~ but at bed time he will lay in there for hours looking at books, singing songs, and of course coming up with ways to trick me into coming back in the room.
~I will note that DS goes to bed at the same time we do, which may help a little because he does not feel like he is the only one going to bed.

For encouragement...
My dad often likes to tell me that "parents stuck with boring well behaved kids will never have any good stories to tell."
Boy do I have some stories!