Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 247 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #49806 06/22/09 05:45 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    My 8.5 year old daughter has attended a gifted and talented school for 4 years and is now moving back to our local public school. We had her tested with WISC IV per school's request. The school is questioning the FSIQ reported as 130 by the psychologist who performed the test. We've now got to get school psychologist in touch with the examiner. In the meantime, it would be helpful if someone else might weigh in on this situation. Can anyone interpret my daughter's scores and let us know what might be the cause of the discrepancy?

FSIQ = 130
    VCI = 155
    PRI = 141

Scaled Subtest Scores:
    Verbal Comprehension (VCI)
    Vocabulary = 13
    Comprehension = 14
    Similarities = 13

Perceptual Reasoning (PRI)
    Block Design = 14
    Matrix Reasoning = 12
    Picture Concepts = 13

Working Memory (WMI)
    Digit Span = 11
    Letter-Number Sequencing = 13

Processing Speed (PSI)
    Coding = 19
    Symbol Search = 17

Other Subtests
    Picture Completion = 11
    Information = 13
    Word Reasoning = 12

The school is right. Something definitely looks off. You would need scores of 19's and 18's to get a VCI of 155. The PRI looks off, too. Did the report include the WMI and PSI composites? I'm not sure the FSIQ is right, either. In any case, it doesn't jibe with the VCI and PRI listed here.

I'm wondering if when the test was scored, maybe the Other Subtests were accidently included in the sum of scaled scores...

I can't tell you what the VCI and PRI should be since I don't have the tables, but Dottie could. She is on vacation (I think) but you could send her a private message so this post doesn't get buried.

I can tell you that the GAI would be 122 ( 93rd %ile) (see WISC-IV Technical Report #4 ) which would give you a ballpark estimate of the FSIQ.

N
    N
    Something is very wrong with the calculations. The scores for VCI and PRI clearly do not fit the sub-test scores that you listed.

Hopefully, Dottie will weigh in and solve the mystery.

NJMom #49811 06/22/09 06:52 PM
    B
    B
    The FSIQ could be correct at 130... because the processing speed scores are so high.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you all for the prompt replies. Sounds like we're in for an interesting conversation with the school. Meanwhile, I calculated the same GAI but I'm not sure what the equivalent FSIQ is for a 122. Anyone know that?

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Found out myself via this link (http://www.docstoc.com/docs/6546776/WISC-IV-General-Ability-Index-(GAI)-Worksheet) that 122 *is* the FSIQ equivalent.

M
    M
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think that the 'FSIQ equivalent' listed on the website can be the actual FSIQ because it doesn't take into account the WMI or PSI scores that feed into the FSIQ. I think they're just making a distinction between the GAI subtest score totals and the "FSIQ like number" that those translate into.

I think you have to have the WISC tables to get the corrected FSIQ. I would say that the 130 looks reasonable given that the GAI is 122 without the higher scores of the PSI, which would probably push that FSIQ up.

I'm just guesstimating, but I don't think the FSIQ will go up to 130. The WMI is not high. I could certainly be wrong, though...I don't have the tables. The school psychologist probably does though, and my guess is that she checked the score when she saw the strange VCI and PRI scores.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    According to http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=2455, FSIQ is more heavily weighted to PSI than it may need to be when it comes to purest notions of cognitive giftedness. My daughter's average of the PSI + WMI scores is 15.0, which is considerably higher than the 13.2 average of the VCI + PRI, and would seem to contribute to a higher FSIQ. Anyway, I'm obviously biased. I am eager to see my daughter get into this program. Hopefully someone with the offical WISC tables can weigh in soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM