Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Mia Offline
    BethG -- my ds7 is the same way. He likes doing math, and he's good at it. I highly recommend the Fred books for a quick learner -- we have the Fractions and Beginning Algebra, but I think we need to get Decimals ...

A few weeks ago, my ds7 actually asked if he could start "Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra" after glancing through it (we actually bought it for dh, long story). I told him he had to finish the two prereq Fred books before starting the Algebra one -- and now he's 12 chapters through "Fractions." And doing well.

We've always, *always* have a bedtime story -- either two picture books or two chapters (or a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes!). Since he wants to do Fred but doesn't have a lot of free time with full-day summer camp, I've just starting giving him the summer option of having a "Fred-time story" together instead. We'll work one or two chapters together, and then he'll continue on, or switch to reading a book. It's actually relaxing for him and he likes it.

However ... I'm kind of alarmed at how quickly he is progressing, with relatively little effort. His MAP math score jumped more than 30 points in the past year with no homework or afterschooling to speak of, and is now a bit high for my comfort zone! I really, honestly did not think he could progress this quickly -- and I don't know that I should be assisting him to get further ahead, even if he's asking for it! smirk

I'm getting antsy about what we'll do in middle school and high school ... confused

Mia
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Mia
    I'm getting antsy about what we'll do in middle school and high school ... confused

Check out the Art of Problem Solving website. They have high school math that is at a more challenging level and some additional subjects. Their approach is advanced problem solving, not just the basic skills taught in typical curricula. They suggested that we do a typical algebra course before doing their algebra course as I'll be going into it with a younger student.

Art of Problem Solving

First of all, one can never run out of math activities. There are so many that are never experienced in school books. School still works on the reader's digest version of math.

I also believe that it is up to parents of gifted children to introduce their children to other interests. I remember going to university and looking at the various courses and being upset that I had never experienced them before.

Many other subjects embrace math such as probility and many sciences. My daughter is also learning Latin and Anthropology. We have been with Girl Scouts for six years and she works on badges and other activities that introduce her to fun interests. Some parents just buy the badge books for reference and fun.

T
    T
    Hi all,
    I've been trying to check into Life of Fred after reading about it here. It looks as if it could be a really good match for my DD, but I'm not sure where to have her start. She has been meandering through Singapore workbooks independently at school and is in 5B. I think that she's pretty well grounded in fractions (conceptually). I looked at the sample pages on the site and it has a bridge for about 2/3 of the way through that I think she would have no trouble completing. However, since there isn't a pre-test on line, I feel like I'm guessing. Twenty dollars isn't a lot for a book--unless you don't need it smile So...I'm wondering if anyone who has used both LoF and Singapore can tell me whether she should start with fractions or go directly to decimals and percents. Her concept of percents is solid, her decimal understanding is more skill-based and could use firmer grounding. If she is placed in the same class next year (she's in a multi-age) she will likely spend a lot of time working independently. She enjoyed reading the Number Devil, so I think she might enjoy the LoF approach more than the Singapore. This is a kiddo who enters another universe when reading or drawing, but is completely distractible in almost every other situation. Thus the s-l-o-o-o-w journey through her workbooks despite verbal demonstrations of conceptual understanding. I'd appreciate anyone's insights!
    Thanks!
    Taminy

WEll the story line is continued from the Fractions books so you miss all the intro info about Fred. Especially if you have a DC coming after your DD, I'd start w/ Fractions ... most kids find it a fun review. From what I've read people generally do LOF fractions after SM 4B or 5A/5B so I think she's at a good point for LOF Fractions.

T
    T
    Thanks for the feedback--that's helpful smile
    Tam

I agree with Dazey. GS9 read through the first 2 like a novel. I spot checked his comprehension on the tests and let him go. In addition, we ordered directly from http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html and they came autographed! GS9 was tickled to death to have them autographed by the author! I didn't buy the whole series, but we will over the next year or so.

B
    B
    chiming in here with a "huzzah!" for the Murderous Maths series. Our DSnow9 just devoured them ... he was 8 at the time. We were incredibly fortunate in that our alternative public school actually had 6 of the books in their library - but we did order several from

www.half.com

search Kjartan Poskitt (author)

and you can usually find them for $3-4 plus shipping - we were able to bundle some of the shipping, too.

This is a fabulous site for lots of other stuff, as well:

http://www.fun-books.com/mathematics.htm

this one is too:

http://www.horriblebooks.com/

hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years