Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I'm considering having my rising 4th grader take the Explore Jan 2010. I recall preping for the SAT/ACT. Do you do any prepping for the Explore or is the point to see see more ability then topics learned? I saw a sample sheet and was thinking of having DS work through that to get a handle on if it's even something we should attempt this year or wait a year.

Thanks,
    Dazey

My DD didn't prep at all. Since I'm such a "type A", I tried in vain to find anything more than the booklet they send in the mail 2 weeks before the test (which has the same questions as the explore website has). At one time, I think they used to print a full-length practice test, but I couldn't find it.

Re: whether to test a 4th grader - depends on the kid. It is quite challenging for that age, and some kids might be upset that they can't answer all the questions. I think going through the practice questions might give you a good idea.

W
    W
    Hi,
    My fifth grader took the Explore in January through TIP. The only prepping she did was to do the practice test that came with our registration pack. I would say its mostly to see ability and how they interpret data. If your child has experience with standardized testing I wouldn't worry. If not, then work on using a bubble sheet and transferring answers from the book to the answer sheet just to get comfortable. Overall it was a good experience for DD.
    Wendy

The only prepping I'd do is to get him the calculator he'll use if he doesn't already have one, so it's not brand-new in January. DS had never used a calculator until maybe eight weeks before he first took the Explore, so we did a little math each day with it (like five problems) to make sure he knew how it worked.

Erica
    OP Offline
    OH yes, I meant to ask about that. So a calculator is needed. He does know how to use one but could definitely use more practice. I'll give him the sample sheets and think about if he should wait until 5th. He's ok with not knowing the all the answers but I'd hate for him to do devastatingly poor on it as it might give him a mental block towards taking it again.

That was one thing I emphasized with DS (especially since he was really REALLY young -- 7 1/2 -- when he first took it). I wanted him to be absolutely clear on the expectation that he wouldn't finish, that there would be questions he didn't know, and that there wasn't any minimum "good" score. Just taking it was impressive, and whatever he got was whatever he got -- I already know what he can do, so it's not a question of that.

DS just took the ACT for the first time this past weekend, and it was another round of the same idea. He didn't need to worry about score, or finishing, or anything - just do it, and when you get to something that looks too hard, guess and move on. What do you get if you do really well? donuts. What do you get if you get every single problem wrong? donuts. Yay for testing centers near Krispy Kreme (says she who is planning to schedule her own actuarial exams for the location right next to the Polish deli... Mmmmmm.... tests.....) wink

If you think he'll seriously freak out, then I'd skip it, but I do think it's a good thing to nudge them a little outside their comfort range (just a little!) so the second time is easier. At this point the Explore is a walk in the park - not because he gets them all right but because he knows it's no big deal. Standing in line with him at the ACT place I was struck by how freaked out some of the high school kids looked (and probably having a short 9 year old in their line didn't help... LOL)... I know it matters more to them, but it made me think that an earlier, laid-back start to it could go a long way to making it less overwhelming when it counts.

Erica
    OP Offline
    True, I can emphasize this is a practice run for later testing!

thanks!
    Dazey

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs