Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    Nes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    And I don't mean the screen smile DS13mons is driving me nuts! He's so into everything electronic I've had to hide away every loose cord, and guard the computer to keep him from ripping cords & tipping over the tower. We had to purchase a whole new set of cordless phones so he could have the old one to play with. I love that he's so curious and I want to encourage his exploration but I'm at my wits end!

Does anyone have suggestions for something I could make (or buy) that would satisfy an insatiable curiosity about the way things work? I'm thinking some sort of pretend circuit board with some audio wires or something. Something that he could take apart and put back together, like a 3D puzzle that is something (not just geometric) would be great too.

I'm not inclined to give him old computer wires to play with because he likes to wrap things around the back of his neck (I have no idea why), I did give him an old keyboard and mouse and he ground that amusing for about 2 minutes until he realized they didn't do anything. He's very into the blocks but apparently they just aren't exciting enough to hold his attention.

TX!

F
    F
    Its not electronic, but my kids love, PVC plumbing pipe and fittings. You can get some pipe and fittings from Home Depot and the kids love putting it together and/or taking it apart. You will need pvc cutters to cut the pipe into smaller peices, but I swear kids love it...and it is cheap
    When he gets older he will like rolling marbles down the tubes and so will his dad!

Boxes within boxes are good with little doodads thrown in for him to find. Mr W still gets a kick out of this.

Mr W is done with < 35 piece puzzles and shape sorters, but was all into them for some time and would do them for hours. You can find some used ones.

We also let him get into the tupperware closet and he will match lids to containers. But he is almost done doing that.

At 17 mos he spends more time with his books, toy cars, and starfall than random exploration now. He still likes his piano.

N
    Nes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Those are both good suggestions, I'm going to try them both and see what we get. DS already has full access to a couple tupperware/utensil drawers and drives me bonkers pulling things out then hiding them around the house (he thinks he's so cute! smirk )

I've been trying to find him a shape-sorter I like but I'm not holding out much hope on him actually playing with it. DS has those fisher-price play doors and freaks out and runs over to remove the shapes every time I put them back in the tops of the doorways (it's quite entertaining, for me!). I have a feeling he's not going to grasp the concept of putting the shapes into the sorter for a little while longer laugh.

Last edited by Nes; 06/19/09 07:23 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM