Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #49551 06/17/09 12:55 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi,

My 9 year old gifted dyslexic son's school music teacher notices that he cannot match pitch and sings at the same level. HIs dyslexia apparently derives from an auditory sequential weakness as his visual processing is very high (behavioral optometric assessment of visual processing concluded he was at least 4 years ahead of his age). I guess what I wanted to ask is whether anyone has ever heard of dyslexia (or this type of dyslexia)also interfering or linking with a form of tone deafness (or inability to match pitch or change pitch). It may of course have nothing to do with it - he may just not be musical smile Also has anyone experienced this in their dyslexic child. He loves to sing (irrespective of his apparent lack of ability) and now is being 'nicely asked' to leave the choir and/or obtain singing lessons to teach him to match pitch. If there is anything already on this thread, please point me in the right direction. I am happy to hear any of your thoughts or opinions.

thanks
    Tizz2008

S
    S
    No opinions, just thoughts. I am somewhat "tone deaf" - it's very difficult for me to match pitch - it seems that what I think I'm singing and what I actually sound like are two different things (I hate being recorded - freaks me out to hear how I really sound LOL). Sometimes I can do it if I try very hard but that requires tons of concentration and I'm sure I still can't get it right. Anyway, I'm not dyslexic. But I am a VSL.

I'd suggest an instrument perhaps? My very, very VSL ds, who also seems to have auditory issues, likes piano, and both his teacher and his music teacher at school have suggested that he's good with rhythm. And he's always quick to tell me when a piano key doesn't sound right, so maybe the sound coming outside the body sounds different from sound made within the body? I don't know...

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for your thoughts snowgirl. Yes, my son is also a strong visual spatial learner (with auditory sequential weaknesses). He is also strong at expressing himself verbally (but not singing :)). It is interesting how you have mentioned that the musical perception is different when it is not coming from within yourself. I think I will try him on an instrument as you suggest - my brother is in a band and plays guitar so perhaps I might ask him.
    Tiz

True "tone deafness" is very rare, so I don't think there's any strong connection between dyslexia (which is not rare) and true tone deafness.

Some people have good "ears" for music - they can hear whether or not they are in tune. This is very important in singing, because there is a great range of pitches we can sing, and if the pitch is off slightly, it can sound really out-of-tune. Violin and other string instruments also can have a great variation in pitch, depending on the exact finger placement - 1 mm too high or too low can make the note WAY out of tune.

If your son doesn't have a good "ear", it doesn't mean he can't play an instrument. Maybe singing isn't his thing (although some people can be trained to match pitch), and string instruments might be tough for the same reason. I would suggest piano, which is tuned professionally and remains in tune with itself. And there's always percussion...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations