Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    Suzanne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Yes, the person who evaluated my son recommended I take him for a vision assessment, which I did. They found he has binocular instability and ocular motor tracking problems. We started daily therapy at home and after only 3 weeks, he is reading outloud better and skipping far fewer words. We went back to the eye doctor this week and the doctor was very pleased with his progress. They want me to continue with the Marsden ball exercise and added a bead exercise.

I know what you mean..I am not sure I NEED to know if he has dyslexia or not. I am treating him as if he does-I bought All About Spelling this week and will start daily lessons soon. He will be learning keyboarding skills this fall and we will continue to work on his writing skills. Homeschooling is great-because you can customize a program for each individual child. I realize it is not for everyone, though.

S
    Suzanne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Bump...anyone else have any opinions about whether I need to know if he is dyslexic or not? I hate to have him retested again.

MAE Offline
    I understood from our experts in gifted & 2E issues that if you are treating for Dyslexia symptoms it doesn't matter whether they actually have dyslexia. They said the treatment for dyslexia will hardwire for improvement regardless of the underlying cause. In our case we have several possible causes of dyslexia-like symptoms and I'm doing Barton with him. So you may want to consider whether you have enough information and are doing enough to be able to help him between his vision therapy and All About Spelling to still *need* a label.

Also in case you haven't found http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeartofReading/ here is the description:

This is a christian parent group designed to provide support for homeschooling families as they move through the process of teaching a child/children who struggle with various aspects of reading. (fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, decoding, encoding, phonemic awareness, phonics, and/or specific issues of dyslexia, dysgraphia, language development, or auditory processing disorder.)

Be sure to check out their resources, they have tons of information in their Files section.

Hope this helps.

-Michelle

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM