Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #49316 06/13/09 04:37 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Is anyone located in North Florida and have any information about groups etc in the area?

dlktally #49317 06/13/09 05:26 AM
    M
    M
    Where in North Florida?

It looks like we are relocating to the Orlando area. Does anyone have information about elementary schools in this area?

RobotMom #49933 06/24/09 06:49 PM
    Sorry, no, we are further North. There might be a yahoo group dedicated to that area, check terms like "gifted" and "orlando" for the groups. You can also check the FLAG people, (Florida Assoc for the Gifted).

F
    F
    Gifted Conference in Orlando, FL in July
    http://www.sengifted.org/conference_about.shtml

Check out Orlando schools here,
    https://www.ocps.net/Pages/default.aspx

I am 45min West of Orlando

Floridama #50116 06/29/09 09:56 AM
    Thanks,
    I've tried FLAG and gotten the person in Orange county's contact info, but she's on vacation for the next month so she's not very helpful right now.
    I also checked out the Orlando schools' page, and went to a few of the schools' webpages from that link, but none of them says much of anything on their site about gt.

Floridama I sent you a PM

RobotMom #50130 06/29/09 01:30 PM
    F
    F
    I finally saw it. I'm a little slow

Floridama #50162 06/29/09 08:46 PM
    What about Mensa? They have some really active chapters and get togethers for kids, maybe see if they have an active chapter there. It is like $25 to apply and about $50 for a year's membership.

P
    P
    The children's organzier for the Mensa group is also involved in, I think, Seminole County schools (just north of Orlando). She did a great job on the children's program for the SENG conference last weekend.

I am in the northeast Florida area and am learning my way around some of the enrichment resources available in this area. There is a Saturday program during the school year associated with Stetson University in DeLand called Hatterdays - they also have some weeklong summer programs (day, not residential) at several locations throughout the state. We have started to make some contacts there, although it is something of a haul for us. The Gainesville area may also have something, but we haven't dug too deeply there yet.

Prissy
    Prissy #51412 07/28/09 04:40 PM
    Thanks for the advice so far. We have not thought about Mensa, but will when we get to Florida. (Which will be next week.)
    Well, DH finally got a live person at Orange County Public Schools. Inf act, he got the gifted admin. there (or at least one of them). He was asking about a magnet program that we had heard about for kids with an IQ over 140, (which DD has). We got the typical response "all of the schools in the western area of the county have great gifted programs, just find a place to live and you'll be able to work with the school whose district you're in." She then went on to say that test scores were not important for entry into the magnet program. All that was required was a letter from the teacher stating that the child's needs were not being met by differentiation in the regular classroom. She said she couldn't recommend a school to us and she knows it didn't sound like an answer, but that was all she could tell us.
    I also finally got an answer to an email I had sent to one of the elementary schools in the area, asking about single subject acceleration, and was told that this isn't done because there are many students in the school with similar talents to DD!! How many kids can there be in a school with an IQ over 140? I am beginning to think we are going to be in for a long battle to find a good program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM