Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    KSB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    1.) My DS7 scored 203 in Mathematics and 195 in Reading. If I have read the links/forms you all have contributed, that means he is about the 50% for 3rd grade..? is that right? He just finished 1st grade, and the test was only given once (new to the district)so nothing to compare it to except the forms online.
    If you need more specifics on breakdown groups of reading and math, let me know.. Math for measurement192-208, stats 191-207, and algebra 201-217

2.)Lexile Scores
    I still can quite comprehend the lexile score if it is such a large range? DS7 is 418-568 - that is between a beginning 2nd grader and a beginning 3rd grader.. how will that help me? Did I read it wrong?

3.) I have been told that research says we should not have children skip a grade, what is the opinions on this forum? Most public schools do not advocate skipping a grade (as far as I know) but what should we do? At times I feel that staying back a grade hinders him socially more than anything - he hasn't seemed to fit in... your opinions?

4.)gifted?
    are these scores considered "gifted" for 2nd grade? please let me know your thoughts, I want to advocate for my son, but just don't know how... DO I ask that he go to a 3rd grade class for math so that he can feel part of a class? instead of "special" work in the corner while others do their lower grade work? I just don't know... what do other parents do?

Thanks for any info or insight you can give me!

I
    I
    Hi KSB,
    I've got a DD7 who just finished 1st, so I've been looking at some of the same questions. Your son's Math RIT is at the 85% for end of 2nd grade and 50% for end of 3rd. His reading is somewhat lower: 63% for end of second and 35% for end of 3rd. Taking the middle of the Lexile range (493) is around a 2.7 grade level using this chart:
    http://www.liberty.k12.ga.us/jwalts/Lexile%20and%20AR.pdf

The NWEA anchors "gifted" at the 95% but school districts vary in how they use this information. Some factor this into selection for gifted programs and others don't.

I think it's worth discussing his scores, what they show he's ready to learn next, and the optimum way to make this happen. The 3rd grade subject acceleration in math seems like a good option.

One missing piece is how his scores compare to the mean/standard deviation of the other students at his school. If there are other students in a similar range, a cluster group could work well. If not, the subject acceleration looks better. I've been able to get the mean but not the standard deviation for DD7's school so it's somewhat murky. confused

Another missing piece is the teacher. I'd rather have DD7 with a flexible 2nd grade teacher who differentiates well than a 3rd grade teacher who's locked into the 3rd grade curriculum.

I'm planning to have DD7 start 2nd and ask for subject acceleration for math and reading. If the 2nd grade teacher is a poor match, I'll look at full grade acceleration or homeschooling. My decision is complicated by the fact that there is a full time gifted magnet that begins in 3rd grade, DD7 is very happy socially, and DD5 is even more asynchronous. crazy

Good luck sorting it all out!

K
    KSB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Lots of stuff to think about! My DS7 has been reading well along time, but I feel since he has, he may not have been challenged as much. In preschool when he was reading - they said he was average, when clearly others were learning the alphabet... URGH! I have that Lexile chart and wasn't sure if the middle score was taken or not. If anything he needs to slow down his reading. But he is bored at times - too.
    He will be starting 2nd grade in the fall. It just seems that we will work with him a lot at home - and especially this summer. He scored at one of the highest in his school for first graders - if not the highest in math. and a math program with like kids would be great at our school.
    I have a hard time knowing what others consider gifted - I have no other scores to compare to. My DD4.5 is a super reader, and really I have no idea where she is at in Math. but she should take the NWEA in K this fall. SO we will know then.
    Are you in a Gifted and Talented State? I hear there are mandatory GT programs in some states, some are funded some aren't - are you so lucky? (sorry personal Q) how do those states work - if anyone knows?

I
    I
    I'm in a "blue" state: gifted programming mandated and partially funded by the state.
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/state_policies.aspx

Your DS7's scores were 99% for end of first grade so you have good reason to think he may be gifted. Is there a gifted coordinator at the school you could meet with to discuss what options are available? Another idea is to call the district gifted coordinator.

Here's a good web site for ideas to challenge his reading. The bookmarks are great!
    http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/SEMR/about/talented-readers.html

K
    KSB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Great thanks this is a start - at least so that he can learn at his own level...

I have heard of the research of learning at a slightly higher level, but seems the schools only teach at the level "at this age" It is frustrating no matter.

Thanks so much for your insight and experience!

Last edited by KSB; 06/14/09 10:55 AM. Reason: bombarded with kids!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent