Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #49179 06/10/09 11:20 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Hi -

I couldn't resist a follow up to the other thread. wink

here's a quick recap of our story:

My ds5 is starting K this fall but we are not able to skip him for a variety of reasons.

1. his LOG is not where a skip is clearly warranted. not reading yet, etc. (he reads a lot of individaul words but not books yet.)

2. we will be moving to a new area and are not sure which school he will attend when we get there. With the distance and the lack of a specific school, I am not able to "feel the school out" and see what they would accomodate in advance.

3. I remembered from previous threads that sometimes 1st is just more structured/restrictive, more "seat time" and less accomodating than K

All would be well and good except that he seems to be right around what is expected for the (year-end) academic standards for our state - for 1st - on everything except writing.

So, even though we have many good reasons for not skipping. I kinda wish we were. Any others in a similar situation?

thx

- EW

F
    F
    DS did not skip k, nor 1. He had asynchronous development. His fine motor skill was poor. He would not write, draw or cut when he entered K. However, he was at 2nd grade reading and math level. It took him 2 years to catch up with his fine motor skill. I will try to get him to skip a grade next year.

Cindi
    Z
    Z
    DS did not skip K but did his skip midway through 1st into 2nd. He had a hard time leaving home going to school and there were lots of tears, and I'd rather have him start out with 1/2 day K where the tears were more acceptable than having him cry all day in 1st. I couldn't even get him on the bus until February of his K year! So for us, K was used as his adjustment time to get used to being away from Mom.

After all that adjusting, we're now homeschooling! I'm glad he was in PS for 2 1/2 years - he's no where near as shy or clingy as he was when he started K.

N
    N
    DS did not skip K this year. From a "maturity" level, we felt K would be a much better fit for him, even though academically he was ready for 1st. He'll be going into 2nd this fall (skip 1st), and we feel he is much more ready socially/maturity for the more structured day at this point. He finished this school year (last 3 weeks) in a first grade class to help us/school evaluate his readiness for 2nd grade - so that may be an option depending on your school/district.

Hi All,

I've been busy at work for a while, but have a more flexible schedule now that summer has arrived. I've been following along when I can, though, and am particularly happy for this thread.

Our DS4 (almost 5) is going into K in the fall. He has been in a mixed Pre-K/K class this year, and most of his closest friends from the class are going into 1st. (That's to say, his closest friends were in the K part of the class.) We thought a lot about the issue, but in the end were persuaded by some considerations that several people introduced on this board.

For background, DS has been doing multiplication, division, and fractions in varying degrees of detail since he turned 4. His reading is now at about a third grade level, having advanced very rapidly in the last year. He attends a French immersion school, and we just learned from the teacher that he reads French rather fluently as well, although not quite as well as the two most advanced Kindergartners in his mixed class. His behavior has gone through some rocky periods, but has been sterling for the last six months. It seems clear he would do fine in first grade.

So why not make the move? The main reason is that Kindergarten is probably the most flexible, most child-centered, grade in the entire school. If there's any grade in which DS can do most what he wants, it's Kindergarten. At our school - but from what I can tell this is true more generally as well - first grade has a rather rigid curriculum, involves a lot of "seat time", and will probably be pretty boring for him. If he has to skip a grade, then, we decided in our case it should be one of the more academic grades rather than one of the less.

There are other considerations, too. Some are purely practical: the class size in kindergarten will be smaller next year, for example, so it will just be a better situation overall. But also, we haven't done any testing yet, and we'd like to do some to see exactly where he falls. We're hoping both that that will give us a better sense for the situation, and also that it will give us some focus for discussions with the school. Finally, there's the extra issue of the second language. We are not native speakers of French at home, unlike many of the other families at the school, so although his French is very good for his age, and is probably at the level of normal native speakers a grade up, it is just a bit safer to give him another year in the French language environment.

Well, I don't know if those considerations are relevant to anyone else, but maybe it's interesting to hear what we were thinking in making the decision. Looking forward to hear what others are thinking too.

BB

Last edited by BaseballDad; 06/11/09 07:23 AM. Reason: Clarity
    E
    E
    LOL, DS now 10 not only didn't skip kindergarten, he did it twice smile He was early enterenced in to K at one private Kindergarten. Due to maturity issues and concerns about ADHD, and SPD, we had him do K again at another Kindergarten before putting him in a montessori program for first grade.

While the montessori placement was a disaster, I think the second K program was good for him. He had 2 teachers that really allowed him to progress at his own pace that second year. They let him do his own math workbooks (supplied by me) read chapter books and work on the computer for writing short stories and research science topics.

However, there is no way that he could have sat through the first grade curriculm at age 5. He didn't mangage it at age 6. But I think that was more because the program and teacher were a terrible mismatch for him.

P
    P
    Although I am not sure if this is the right decision, at this point, DS is not skipping K. We don't have an IQ or LOG right now, so we are getting a condesending pat on the head from the school. Also, I have some concern about DS's ability to sit in his seat for a long time. He is a super active little guy & I think they will have problems getting him to be still for "quite time" after lunch. (full day K) There are also some issues with async dev. as he is not reading yet.

Despite those things, I am very unsure. I don't want his questions about science brushed aside because they don't think he will understand the answer. Or for the other kids to think he is weird because he draws diagrams of the galaxy.

This leaves us anxiously putting together a DYS app. and hoping we put a strong enough portfolio together for him to be accepted. I just finally got DS to do some tapes explaining what he knows about biology & astronomy. We still need to finish up a couple things with the goal of getting an answer by the end of summer. The extra support would be a huge boost in getting DS into the best academic situation.

(sidenote: I am sure that the app process would be a lot easier if I could get past my own denial. ND 5yr olds don't ask what helium is made of or correctly place the solar system on a model milky way or build the leaning tower of pisa out of there sisters megablocks, right?)

Sorry, I think that went a little off track.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    At our school - but from what I can tell this is true more generally as well - first grade has a rather rigid curriculum, involves a lot of "seat time", and will probably be pretty boring for him. If he has to skip a grade, then, we decided in our case it should be one of the more academic grades rather than one of the less.

Finally, there's the extra issue of the second language. We are not native speakers of French at home, unlike many of the other families at the school, ...it is just a bit safer to give him another year in the French language environment.

Well, I don't know if those considerations are relevant to anyone else...
    BB

Hi BB,

My DS9 went to a French immersion school from pre-K/MS through 2nd grade/CE1. We aren't native speakers either, though my French is pretty good.

In general, French educators seem to be far more open to whole-grade acceleration than their counterparts in the US. Our son was offered a skip from 2 to 4, and a boy in his class had skipped 1/CP.

Skipping 1/CP would have been a lot of work. In the CP, French kids learn all the sounds of the alphabet (not as obvious as it sounds if you're not a native speaker; ex. accented vowels have different sounds), as well as cursive writing (this starts in K a bit). Both of these tasks are pretty important and also time-intensive. The parents of the boy who skipped CP told me that their son had to do a lot of extra work so that he wouldn't have to struggle after the skip. For my DS, skipping 3 was bordering on trivial. They gave him the workbooks and he just did everything without any help at all.

My DS wasn't underchallenged in French classes in CP, though the English grade 1 curriculum was too easy for him. The advantage in that grade was that the French took up 70% of the day. This value went to 60% the next year, by which time he was underchallenged in every academic class except French language/grammar.

YMMV obviously, but I thought I'd send some food for thought. If you want to do a skip (especially of 1st/CP), I'd recommend looking into it early.

Val

J
    J
    DS5 will be in K in August. I'd love it if he was going into 1st for more than a million reasons, but like BaseballDad, I know kindergarten won't be a terrible thing for other reasons.

My DS didn't skip K. We considered it but decided it would be a good place for him while he was learning to "do school". In the end it didn't matter as he ended up accelerated out of K for all subjects and spent only social time with his K class. Interestingly enough, I was very concerned going in about my son's lack of maturity. We only had maturity issues when he was in the K room. When he was in the 3rd or 4th grade classroom there was never a problem.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets