Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #48996 06/08/09 01:02 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I am not completely up on technology, but my DH downloaded this book http://www.amazon.com/Admission-Jea...mp;s=books&qid=1244491096&sr=1-1
    for me from itunes to iPod touch for a recent trip. I really enjoyed it--fictional story written by a Princeton admissions person that gives some insight about the application review process. Evidently there are tons of books available for free download!

Thanks for the tip Cym.
    DD and I will be driving to Denver in a few days smile Long car trip with nothing really interesting on the way there, just the two of us talking, which can be priceless smile

I have actually stopped at the library today to pick up some books on tape/cd (Princess Diaries, The Plague, The Hobbit - an assortement of genre) but I have completely forgotten that I can download as well!!! Not very tech savy am I?

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hope the Denver program is great again this year and your daughter enjoys it. My DS who was with her last year and admired her violin playing is trying a jhu program this summer and I hope he can handle the 3 wk length.

Which talent search do you test with to get into JHU?

D
    D
    I don�t believe JHU requires qualifying ACT or SAT scores be obtained through talent search participation. So, any talent search or none (signing up the old fashioned way) should suffice.

Here are the required scores;

http://cty.jhu.edu/summer/oselig.html

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Rocky Mt is part of the talent search "family". Once you have scores, you can look at the courses/campuses available through Northwestern, Duke Tip, JHU CTY, and one other? I always advise that the course choice is the deciding factor (your son/daughter has to be delighted with it for 3 wks!). We usually have a couple choices and then look at campuses. This year I have:

ds 13 - duke tip at davidson
    ds 14 - non-talent search program. Pre college program at U of chicago
    ds-10 - jhu cty at stanford

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    P.S. There's really not a good reason to register for more than one talent search unless your child wants to take different tests. For instance, younger kids might want to take both SCAT (jhu) and EXPLORE (duke or rocky mt). After 7th grade, it's all ACT & SAT, so it shouldn't matter--one talent search is sufficient. The big difference between the searches is that jhu & duke publish their summer programs in Dec/Jan, while Rocky Mt is more like March/April. Waiting to see what Denver offers might wreck the chances at the others because courses fill up. My kids have always wanted to go back to the program they did, but I want them to step outside their comfort zones and see a new campus, try something different. My oldest still says Denver (his first program) was the most challenging.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations