Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #48539 05/30/09 05:45 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I keep noticing various math tutorial stores. There's one called Kumon and one called Mathemporium or something. They seemed designed for kids struggling with math but has anyone had experience with kids who excel at and enjoy math? I'd like to augment my son's math education with some fun and I could see a social math club being right up his alley. Thoughts?

Well, if there isn't one, just form it smile
    How old is your son?

Ania #48542 05/30/09 07:38 PM
    Kumon and Mathemporium are tutoring facilities just like Sylvan. They will take on a student who excels in math but as far as I know there isn't a club. They are also very pricey.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #48548 05/31/09 06:33 PM
    P
    P
    Don't know about Mathemporium, but I know lots of kids who are very good at math and go to Kumon. It's self-paced , so some kids get material way above their grade level at school.

Don't know how old your son is, but if he is 4th grade or older, you can also look at math competitions and talent searches. There is also a thing called Math Circle that is for very advanced kids, you can google and see if there is one near you.

Or you can organize a math club. I just did at my son's school. It's working really well and I'm just so happy to see that so many kids and parents are enthusiastic about it.

playandlearn #48552 06/01/09 05:56 AM
    L
    L
    We did Kumon for awhile. My kids found it frustrating because of the endless drill. They had to start at a level or more beneath what they knew (because they not only had to get the answers right, but fast). Then, they had about 200 pages of worksheets that they had to complete, and if these had mistakes or weren't fast enough then they got them again. Each new level was only slightly harder than the last and resulted in another 200 pages of worksheets. We spent about a year doing it and when we finished my sons were just getting to the point where they would soon learn something new.

It did help solidify the times tables for my one son, but most gifted kids hate that drill and kill approach and my youngest was seriously starting to get turned off math.

Our neighbour's son, who is good in math and is in public school, is getting some challenge now beyond what he would get at school, but he's been doing Kumon for more than two years to get to that point.

Do you have a university nearby? Maybe someone there runs a math club for elementary kids.

CFK #48585 06/01/09 02:44 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I see. You guys have explained it well. I'll skip them. I'm looking for a place that features those expensive montessori manipulatives so that I can supplement the abstract math that I have him do with fun stuff. I really want to preserve his math love. Based on recs on this forum, I think I'm going to buy a Singapore book for now and see if that provides a bit more challenge.

J
    J
    I'll put in a plug for maths club. It's really not that hard to set up. And it's huge fun! Keep numbers small; group by ability not age; and have lots of varied activities. I find a circuit-type set up works well so there's 5+ activities and you get some mastery by repetition without being drilled and having to go over and over things. There are lots of online websites to help for interesting activities. But just finding top 10 ways to learn timestables can be good fun and really useful. Always room for some worksheets if you're not feeling terribly creative. And lots of parents are willing to help... jojo

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations