Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    K
    Tammy - your daughter is newly 7 also, isn't she? I wonder if something happens around 7 that makes handwriting easier? My son has also improved 10 fold in the past few months. It was literally like something "clicked". He was horrible last year. It drove me crazy.

So anyway - I totally agree on not worrying too much about penmanship!

Originally Posted by Mia
    They refused to give him the MAP reading test early, which I thought was kind of odd; she said that it wouldn't make a difference in his placement since they already did the DRA. Not sure I believe that, but we can wait the month; if he's able to go for math and does well, I hope they'll let him try reading, too.

Mia

Hi Mia,
    I would strongly suggest that you (or DS's Dad)insist that they give him the MAP reading test next month along with the Math. It's ok to state that you don't believe that the DRA test was accurate for him on that day because he is reading books at home such as ___________ and _______________. Use the Scolastic link below to find out the level of your son's recreational books, and include this info in the letter. As you see below, his instructional level should be higher than his recreational level. Yeah I'll bet!

Here's a little tidbit about Dra's:

What is the difference between "instructional level" and "independent level"?

The 90-94 percent range represents the student�s instructional level, and it is the instructional level that should be reported (at the end of the grading period). A student�s independent level is the level at which he/she reads with 95-100 percent accuracy, with fluency, and comprehension. A student�s independent level is generally one or two levels lower than his/her instructional level.

That's from http://studata.sandi.net/assessment/DRA_FAQ.asp#Q3

There are more articles about reading level, and you can browse by DRA level here:
    http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/classroombooks/browse_level.asp

Practice calm, friendly, confident "insist" body language. Practice your "elevator speech" - drop by, give the speech, and hand them a written copy of your request for his file, in the "I'm confident that I'm making your life easier by handing you this paper" manner. Some schools have even asked the parents to sign a paper saying that they will take responsibility for the social/emotional aspects of a skip. Hey, if that helps them sleep at night!

Lots of us are bossy, and when we try to be un-bossy (or un-overwhelming) we end up as sweet little doormats! So don't go blabbering about studies or statistics, just use every bit of nonverbal body language to "insist" on what is "a reasonable thing for my child's learning." Find the school's mission statement and work that into to your "short, firm, and to the point" elevator speech. Repeat yourself over and over and over.

Perhaps I misread your post, but don't don't don't let them get used to just pointlessly putting you off for no reason. Get used to telling them what you know, and what you need, in a clear, firm, professional manner. You need this information. Why have him strung along when his current placement isn't working? If they give 1st graders MAP reading, give your kid MAP reading and then you can compare apples to apples.

Yes?
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm hoping handwriting clicks! That's not a red button issue for me, though, since he's progressing very well for his chronological age, and spells well.

Trinity:

Thank you for your post! It really was helpful. We asked several times about the reading MAP test ... Hmm. I'm going to have to talk with ex-h. Because we agree with you, and said exactly that to the principal -- If they're willing to do the math now, why put off the reading if we can get more information now? They said there really wasn't anything else they could do, even if he *did* score higher. We'll see. I'll email ex-h and see what he thinks.

I forgot to ask whether the DRA assessment was done in one sitting, because if it was, he likely got bored by the end of 27 short stories and was done! He's certainly reading higher recreational books if I go by the Scholastic list; on the floor in his room are Captain Underpants (which he's been reading independently since last winter!), The Boxcar Children, and Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary. We've also just found the Franny K. Stein books; how funny are those? Sounds like he's reading at his "instructional" level for fun at home, if we go with their DRA. Benj and his dad have been reading "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" together; he read a chapter on his own the other day and was able to answer questions about it; that's RL 5.3 on my favorite leveled site:

http://home.comcast.net/~ngiansante/index.html

We pointed that out; I don't think they believe us.

I think we did get our point across, at least somewhat, and I feel better about going forward. They do seem willing to work with us, which is a relief, given the horror stories I hear about some schools. I think they're just patting themselves on the back a little too much with the "we have children like this all the time" attitude.

I'll practice my speaking skills! I was able to on the phone with ex-h the night before the meeting. I was asking him what he'd say if they said x, and when he didn't have a good answer ready, I got to practice mine. :-)

Mia

Mia
    kimck - Yes, dd turned 7 in late October. Maybe it is an age thing? hehe.

Hi Mia,

I think the "we have children like this all the time speech" is in some pricipal handbook on dealing with informed parents of gifted children.
    DD7's kindergarten teacher liked to say there was this child or that child that was doing something "more exceptional". That comment will die off after awhile as your DS gets a little older and they realize he is the real deal. A lot of kindergarten teachers really like to think that all the kids level out by third grade. This is not malicious, they just really beleive it. By the end of first grade they stopped talking about other children when discussing my daughter in terms of what they could supposedly do better.
    I do, however, find it somewhat innappropriate that they are discussing another child's performance and abilities with you. I mean, isn't that a really big privacy infringement? I do think they use this as a technique to manage your expectations as a parent, so don't be offended, just stay your course patiently. My best friend's mother-in-law is a retired teacher and she has told me some accepted techniques teachers utilize that would just chap your you know what, but that's another thread.

Our other daughter is in kindergarten and we are dealing with similar sorts or issues concerning the teacher. I haven't even approached the principal at this point because it would be a waste of my time. The policy in our school district is that they really don't even want to have a serious conversation with you till the CogAt results are in around the middle of third grade.

I am glad to hear they are taking some action and as they get to know your son and his abilities, maybe they will do more. It sounds like you are doing an excellent job advocating and the members of this board seem to have come through with some pretty strong advice.
    My biggest challenge in advocating for my children is patience. In a meeting I know I have to stay calm, rational and professional, which is a real challenge for me when dealing with a teacher who is just not getting it. But I know once I show annoyance the meeting immediately becomes counterproductive.
    One of my friend's DD6 was taking an evaluation for admittance to a private school and solved a pretty advanced math problem for her age. The next question was explain how you got your answer. She wrote: "Duh". I really wish that would work for me sometimes!!!!!

Incog

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations