Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hello Friends,
    This is my first post and I am in need of some direction concerning the right path for my DS who will be 8 yrs. old next month.

Here are his SCAT scores received today..

Verbal 41/50 :90th compared to grade 4 :443
    Math 40/50 :94th compared to grade 4 :452

I don't understand what this means other than he would qualify for summer programs if we lived near CA. Can you help?

I homeschool him. Thanks,
    CG

OP Offline
    also, he is classified as 2nd grade.

RJH Offline
    It means he is one smart cookie smile Congrats on those scores!

Welcome to the board! I have no idea but wanted to say hello!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi,I just wanted to say welcome. Unfortunately I don't know much about the scores so can't help. Stick around, I am sure someone will be able to give you some advice smile

OP Offline
    I do not know where to begin to consider an IQ test.
    Who administers an IQ test?
    What is the best test for his age and ability called?
    Is an IQ test intrusive?
    Will it make my child or me feel uncomfortable?
    Is it worth the time and money involved?
    Why would I do it?

He has taken the CAT test for three years. I always test him one grade level ahead and he scores between 90-99 percentile in each subject.

I feel in the dark. I know I have been meeting his needs up until this point (since he started reading at age 3), but now he is getting a little bit difficult to life with (inundating me with endless questions and wanting complete control of his surroundings.) That is why I had him tested. He is adopted, so he doesn't get it from me. So, I am having difficultly understanding his personality.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

A
    A
    I am not a parent, just a young adult who hangs out on this board sometimes, but I can answer your questions about an IQ test.
    An official IQ test is administered by a psychologist in a one-on-one setting and for that reason, it's expensive to pay out of pocket. While any qualified psychologist can give it, if you decide to go ahead with the testing, it's best that you find a psychologist experienced in testing gifted children. This would ensure that his scores truly showcase his abilities. An IQ test is not a medical test so there is no pain or discomfort of any kind. It involves answering questions, putting together blocks, circling pictures and symbols, etc. It is pretty engaging so your child would probably like it. The advantage of this kind of test is that it tests several different types of abilities: abstract reasoning, word knowledge, open-ended reasoning, working memory, analysis-synthesis, categorical reasoning, executive functioning, short-term memory so you would get information about his strengths and weaknesses. If he does extremely well, the results of the test would enable him to get into gifted programming of various kinds. If the test uncovers some weakness (and I am sure that even if there are weaknesses on some parts of the test, he would shine on other parts), in addition to you knowing what to work with him on, he would be able to get accommodations in school.

The most popular IQ test for both gifted identification and learning disability identification is the Weschsler Intelligence Scale for Children 4th edition (WISC IV). However, there are other official, individually administered IQ tests as well. You should familiarize yourself with the structure of the WISC IV, but I wouldn't go into a lengthy explanation of it. It's best that you google it.

Hope it was helpful and I am sure that parents on this board would chime in with their more insightful comments on the topic.

Last edited by asiral; 05/23/09 07:06 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations