Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 162 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Deleting to remove personal information

Last edited by mom2sofia; 07/31/15 03:09 PM.
    HI mom2sofia - I'm sure Dottie will have the info you seek!!!

But I'll attempt the DYS criteria.

From the DYS website on the WJIII qualifications:

Woodcock-Johnson III Test of Achievement (WJ-III):
    Standard score 145+ (99.9th percentile): Broad Reading, Broad Math, Broad Written Language cluster(s) or Total Achievement

So she qualifies based on her Broad Math score of 154!!!

Looking at an IQ chart here http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx I would think 2.5std dev is mid-way between 130 and 145.

But for DYS, you need 145 in verbal, non-verbal or FS.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 05/20/09 03:03 PM.
    S
    S
    I hope you are able to obtain the other testing info you are looking for. I know there is a way to figure out the SD's too, but I am sure someone else will help you out with that one that knows for sure how to do it. She definitely sounds like a very bright girl. And FWIW, my DS scored high in everything and hit all the ceilings...except in the knowledge area. I thought the same thing you did...I thought maybe I am holding him back and not providing enough information. I think that they excel so much that sometimes the knowledge base isn't as high because they haven't had the years of experience (or at least that is what I am telling myself, LOL).

BTW, I sent you a PM the other day. I now you are kind of new to this site so didn't know if you knew about those.

Good luck!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks so much! I am super excited to read that she still may qualify just based on the WJA broad math score. I thought that there was a chance that she wouldn't qualify based solely on that.

P.S. I responded to your pm Michelle. Thanks for letting me know you sent one.

Last edited by mom2sofia; 05/20/09 03:25 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks so much Dottie. I think that we'll hold off on applying until we attempt to get a full copy of the SB5 results from the school district. My husband and I are also considering having her tested privately by Nadia Webb since we've read such positive things about her here and her office is only an hour away. I called today to see if we can get an appointment with her and was told that someone would call me back with general and pricing information for testing in the next few days.

R
    R
    do you know why they won't release the IQ score? sounds odd to me but i am new to all this. Would love to know if thats something that all districts will do.
    irene

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Irene! According to the Social Worker at my daughter's school, it's a state thing. She, the psych and the educational diagnostician who performed the test were very sympathetic and inferred that they did not agree with the law. My fingers are crossed that we'll be able to get the full results with a written, formal request citing a federal law.

K
    K
    Yeah on broad math. Start pilfering your house and build a portfolio for her DYS. In comparison to other scores our information was lower - here was part of our issue our church has no signage we only ever called it church and we always refered to various places by discriptives - ie the little grocery store vs the big grocery store, same with libraries, heck when she was barely two and my dad watched her for #2's birth we left a list - "rainbow cheerios"="fruit loops" etc.

But a random funny, when she called a friend last night I told her to ask if there was parental confirmation on bathing suits. DD7 says "mom, she won't know what that means. some times simplier but understood is the way to go. you know what I mean?" Uh yes kid, I get your pedagogy :-)

K
    K
    I'm also in Louisiana (St Tammany Parish) and I have heard the same thing about not releasing the actual IQ scores. I believe it is because they do not want to take part in labeling kids with an IQ and they only see the potential in the harm that it can do. I agree, but as a parent I definetly want to understand the whold picture. I guess they don't think that talking in the terms of Standard Deviations from the Mean means much to the average person. You should be able to estimate IQ from the standard dev. info. If the standard dev. is 15 points then 2.5 is probably around 137. Also, you can get an idea from the percentiles as well. My daughter tested 99% in part of her IQ and 99.8% in another. That is a significant difference so I would ask if they are reporting it accurately or rounding. We did independent testing because we are applying to a private school. Since we did independent testing, it can be submitted for gifted program in the public school system and my child will not have to be re-tested as long as everything is according to state requirments. You do, however, have to pay for independent testing versus having the state pay for it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations